Country
United States
IMG_4829.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Amazing, what a fantastic place you have created!! Must be a pure joy to watch all your visitors appreciating all your hard work. Well done @Mrsclem !!!:D:D(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thank you all for the likes and comments! I honestly thought it would take a couple of years for the monarchs to find us. The migration path is 50-60 miles south of here. I was wrong! This morning we have at least a dozen monarchs flying around the yard as well as 7-8 other species. Have watched the birds going into the garden to grab a snack so i'm sure a lot of the caterpillars will not make it but there will be some that will.
I am learning what works and what doesn't in the garden. Lavender and several other plants have died off, possibly due to this years crazy weather. I need to move the pineapple sage! I almost pulled it all out. It looks just like an aggressive weed that grows around the garden area. Luckily, I documented what I planted where. It won't bloom for a couple of months yet and has taken over 2 beds and is crowding out the swamp milkweed. Still have a lot of weeds to pull but don't want to disturb the butterflies that are still laying eggs plus 9:30am and already90+ outside. More photos to follow.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I honestly thought it would take a couple of years for the monarchs to find us.

Looks like they not only found you, but flocked to your house in throngs!! (y) :cool:

:eek: You must have the only milkweed for miles! :(

Did you pick the caterpillars up and put them on the squash and cukes, or did they find them on their own?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Counted 36 on one plant. They found the veggies on their own. There was a lot of native milkweed growing along the roads but it all got mowed down last month.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I brought in a bunch of the caterpillars to raise indoors to improve the survival rate. They are already building chrysalis so hopefully in a couple of weeks we will be releasing a new generation of monarch butterflies.
001.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have both regular and tall phlox. Both have been in the garden for years and are a favorite of the swallowtails. The tall phlox keeps showing up in areas where it was not planted!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Have both regular and tall phlox. Both have been in the garden for years and are a favorite of the swallowtails. The tall phlox keeps showing up in areas where it was not planted!
One yard customer I work for has various tall phlox in their back yard that no one planted.

Ask a Question