Bushy Pepper Plant -- but no Flowers!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got this wonderfully happy and bushy "Russian Healthy" pepper plant. It flourished where my Hatch Green Chile plant failed to take. I never topped it, and it's grown quite large -- it's starting to fall over!

However, despite all this growth, it doesn't actually seem to be making many flowers -- I only count four or five. Is this normal? Should I take off the top or do anything else to encourage fruit growth, or let it run its course? I'm in zone 9a.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7246.jpg
    IMG_7246.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Some varieties of peppers, mostly hot peppers but some sweet as well, just take longer to bloom. Is the plant in full all day sun? What are you fertilizing with? Can you take a close up picture of the leaves? This variety was bred for the climate of Moscow which is different than Oakland.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Chuck! Always lovely to get your advice :)

The plant is in full all day sun. It was planted in newish soil, and I've fertilized it only once this season with this fertilizer. I'll attach a picture of the leaves.

It doesn't look diseased or unhealthy to me -- perhaps I just need to be more patient!

Attachments

• IMG_7247.jpeg
    IMG_7247.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck! Always lovely to get your advice :)

The plant is in full all day sun. It was planted in newish soil, and I've fertilized it only once this season with this fertilizer. I'll attach a picture of the leaves.

It doesn't look diseased or unhealthy to me -- perhaps I just need to be more patient!
Your fertilizer is excellent. @pepper may be correct although a few peppers have serrated leaves and even fewer have long slender leaves. Having both of these traits is very unusual. I have never heard of this particular variety before so I did a little research on it. Could not find a picture though. Supposedly it is an early maturing pepper of about 65 days. Some of the growers reported that it produced well in cloudy conditions and did not need the full sun of most peppers. All you can do is give it more time as the plant itself looks very healthy. I presume the flowers it has are small and white?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The more I look at it the more it reminds of of something like sawtooth wormwood or goldenrod, stuff like that. I honestly believe it's a weed of some sorts. If it turns out to be a pepper plant I'll eat my garden hat lol.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think it's a type of horseweed. When it flowers if they look like this then you will know.

horseweed.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got this wonderfully happy and bushy "Russian Healthy" pepper plant. It flourished where my Hatch Green Chile plant failed to take. I never topped it, and it's grown quite large -- it's starting to fall over!

However, despite all this growth, it doesn't actually seem to be making many flowers -- I only count four or five. Is this normal? Should I take off the top or do anything else to encourage fruit growth, or let it run its course? I'm in zone 9a.

Thanks!
Hello. I don't know what it is you have there, but I am betting the farm that it's not a pepper plant. Why not take a piece to your local nursery and ask if they can i.d. it? Or use iNaturalist app for i.d. OR send photos to your local Museum of Natural History. I'm thinking you have some type of weed and not the kind of weed you smoke.

Ask a Question