Build new house or buy old?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Java, locally we have a "Restore" which is affiliated with Habitat for Humanity. Construction companies drop off their excess supplies and get a tax break; people renovating homes bring in light fixtures, doors, cabinets, molding, and even hardware. If there is such a store near you the savings on basic renovation needs are considerable. We have purchased items at the Restore, and have saved hundreds of dollars.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes, my friend just did a add on to her house and used Habitat for Humanity for things. One thing to always be aware of is, "Bed Bugs" or other insects. While creatures usually are not in "wood/hard structured " items, still have to be aware before bringing it into the home. And never a couch or things like that.

Sears also has the scratch and dent department, got a fridge from then through that area for half the price. could not find the dent, worked fine for years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just fyi , any place that sells paint also sells "mistints." Mind you painting is labor intensive and materials are typically just 10-15 percent of the total cost but every bit helps! (I'm a painting contractor and check out the mistint inventory at my local SW store.)

The Restore store :) is great. Two years ago I got an entire garden shed kit in almost like new condition for $50 there. I did have to buy new shingles, and 4x4s for the base but a friend put it together for free so I got a nice shed for about $200.00.

Also, craigslist. :) I had to fence almost the equivalent of two city lots for the doggies when I bought this place and most of the fencing I bought from a horse farm. Very heavy duty. Saved me a ton!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not the best one to give advise because no matter what the condition I would take an older house over a new house if I liked the location. My house was built in 1830 and I have gone through it from top to bottom. As long as you know what you are doing or have help from someone that does and are willing to learn new things then go for it. Materials are cheap it's the labor that costs money. For instance I put all new water lines in (2 1/2 baths) and sewer lines and did it for under $400 dollars. Kitchens and baths are expensive, well if you call $2000 for a total bath remodel using marble expensive. I also did a complete kitchen INCLUDING appliances for under $1,200 in a house I flipped, not the house I live in myself for that I use the best materials. The point is unless the place is falling down anything can be fixed and fixed rather reasonably if you are willing to get your hands dirty. Don't let shows like The Property Brothers scare you off. A complete remodel doesn't have to cost $150,000.
Here is the kitchen on the "flipper" house I did back in 2010.
http://www.doityourself.com/your-projects/kitchen-on-a-budget-138

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
marlingardener, thank you for the Restore suggestion. I looked and we do indeed have one here in town. They actually had to move to a larger building so I am looking forward to checking it out and seeing what they have. Esther Knapicius, I will heed your warning and stay away from anything that could have bugs. I certainly am not going to buy used furniture or mattresses from anyone I do not know. I'll use the store for things like the garden shed kit Beth_B found...hardware type things. Plus, the money goes to a good cause so it's a win win!!

mgmine, I looked at the kitchen you remodeled. WOW, I hope I don't have anything that major to do! If I do though, it is reassuring to know I have my dad and brothers who do that kind of thing for a living. I don't expect there to be any situations I can't have handled that would require me having to hire an outside contractor.

There is no doubt I will be buying an older house. The costs involved with buying land, developing that land, building a house...all are much more than what I will find purchasing an older farm house. I did add another item on the checklist though when it comes to things to avoid. Mandatory items are, good well, good septic tank, square house with a good foundation, and a decent roof. Anything else I will deal with.

Ask a Question