Cheapest way to build a small greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hate not gardening in the winter. Will a greenhouse help me do so? If so, does anyone have any plans I can use to easily construct a cheap greenhouse in my backyard? I honestly don't care what it looks like, it just needs to be functional.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I've read about people arching cattle panels and then stretching plastic over them.

The biggest cost I faced last year trying to winter garden was the heating bill. Will not do that again. My gas bill for February alone jumped up nearly $200 bucks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Not sure where you are in the states Cryyo, if you are in the North you may just want to consider trying to start the season early with cold frames. You can get lettuce and peas going much sooner in the season, as long as the overnights stay close to the mid 40's and you have enough light. I use two salvaged windows that have frames. I made a box and have a square hole dug in the earth about 3 feet down. There are many DYI instructions for cold frames online.

I use pots instead of direct ground planting because the weather here is fickle. I like to be able to bring the plants in doors if the weather gets bad. Sometimes it does, sometimes we warm up real early.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
This part of last years crop of snow. I made these cold frames myself out of plexiglass and pvc.

better days, oh i miss them so!

Attachments

• 2007-01-01 00.00.00-9.jpg
    2007-01-01 00.00.00-9.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 381
  • August 2014 US (4).jpg
    August 2014 US (4).jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 376
  • 2006-12-31 23.00.00-8.jpg
    2006-12-31 23.00.00-8.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 395
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This part of last years crop of snow. I made these cold frames myself out of plexiglass and pvc.

better days, oh i miss them so!
CanadianLoriz6a, your cold frames look great! How hard it was to make them? Did it take you a lot of time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Didn't take too long as I started with a raised bed.

I didn't have any trouble making it. I am pretty good with tools.

I added solar power to my greenhouses. Did all my own wiring and mounted the panels myself. Made some of the mounting hardware myself. Set up irrigation systems through all of the cold frames, hanging pots and greenhouses. Added a valve system plus misters and a fertilizer dispenser. And on and on...

It never stops. Eeeek!

The point is that if you supply the labour, you save a lot. And it is fun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
A greenhouse will definitely help you garden in winter, but so will a cold frame. If you have never had a winter garden I would suggest starting small. Depending on where you live there are a number of plants you can grow outside even without a greenhouse.Are you interested in flowers, herbs, or vegetables?

Ask a Question