Build new house or buy old?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Probably the water for your pond comes from drainage from the surrounding corn fields. In a rainy year, it will overflow a bit, and in a drought, it will shrink, but you have a pond! Digging, lining, and then filling a pond or stock tank is really expensive.
Just for asthetics, I'd put a concrete slab and a "pergola" type roofing over the area where the plastic chairs are. You'd have a patio and there would be less of a "cut off" look to that area of the house.
Someone has upgraded a few things since 1040--those are not 1940 windows, and the kitchen cabinets, patio doors, and roof look much more recent. I think you've found a gem--a little paint, perhaps removing some paneling, and landscaping and you will have a wonderful home!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading this with interest Java Guy. :) To be honest I don't think there's a decision to be made but before I give you that answer just a few pointers.

I have moved house eight times and about to make my ninth so know a little of what to look for underneath the cosmetics. Regarding the pond, the fairly precise shape of it suggests it is man made, which in turn raises questions. Is it lined, is it spring fed etc.

Underneath the cosmetics......looking at most of the rooms in the house they seem newly decorated, is that hiding anything, damp, rot etc. Could you smell or see damp anywhere. Are there any cracks anywhere? Another place to checkout is the attic, inside the roof are joists, pipework, electrics etc. does it all look sound? I know you said there is work to be done, does that include these things?

Do you know why the owners are selling? Is there anything in the area that's become an issue that is making them move?

My present house is nearly 70 years old. When I moved in it was very dated and neglected although liveable, but I wasn't aware of what was going on underneath the wallpaper. Eight years on of the 11 we have been here, it is just about finished but every room has had to be gutted, that includes stripping plaster from walls and replacing ceilings because it was crumbling. I've worked on the place myself in conjunction with a very good builder and its cost my husband and I a third of what we paid for it to put it right. So don't forget possible hidden costs.

I've lived in both new houses and old, part of my last house was 180 years old and built of stone with no foundations and it was always cold and damp which we tried to fight for years, gave up and moved on. Having said all this I find new houses heartless and they can produce just as many issues as an old one. If you think you can walk away from the house above without leaving your heart behind then go and build that new house. Personally I couldn't, it's a home and has it's own heart and I don't think new builds ever gain that. The cost of putting it right can be spread over the years it will need working on, and although it will be hard work for you - your attachment to it will grow with every nail or screw that needs placing or replacing.

I love the house, it has character and I'd buy it over a new build any day, but it's your choice so will you follow your heart or your head? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
the flat roof add on section might look more uniform if it was a peak roof. perhaps, if it can support, that could be an extra space for storage, or whatever.Or you could just leave it an open peak for sunlight etc. When we added on to our house, I was made sure the add on was also a peaked roof as I think some flat roofs look cheap (my opinion).
My husband and I are DYI folks, he did build on our garden room. and 5 years ago gut renovation for our kitchen. and just recently the hallway bathroom was gutted and finished. we have some brownstones in a town about 40 miins that we would spend many a weekend re-doing, and painting, and tearing apart. (they are finished now).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
BTW as far as painting goes, I am just about done with painting at my age my neck hurts tooo much after painting a ceiling. Last painted about 5 years ago was the entire dinning room, kitchen and hallway, walls and ceiling, this past week just the walls of a small room no ceiling needed. We had our living room just painted in October by a nice young man who can tolerate pain better than I. We are in the get the house done (again) mode prior to retirement.
Next comes the other bathroom .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Marlingardener, excellent idea with the patio addition where the plastic chairs are!!! That is the kind of thing I was hoping for when starting this thread...ideas from people who have been there and done that (this would be my first home purchase). That would put a porch overlooking my pond! I can imagine relaxing back there on a nice summer weekend. Also, that room is huge with big windows all around. I'd turn that into my own little conservatory...my plants and trees would be so happy! As you say, that would also help remove some of that modular add on look going on at the moment. And you're right, I have a pond (damn big one too)!

Esther, I know what you mean about the flat roofs. I don't like them either. It looks like those two sides with the flat roofs were added on at a later date. I dunno why they didn't put in peak roofs to match the rest of the house. I would definitely change that but I would probably leave the roofs open so I would have higher ceilings in those two rooms.

I really appreciate these suggestions and comments from y'all. Keep em coming! Even if it's something negative, it might be something I overlooked and need to think about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah I also figured those flat-roof wings were later additions but they are not completely flat at least.
I figured the hot tub room, with all the windows, would be a perfect conservatory for you! I think, if everything checks out OK, you should probably buy this house. You wrote "...I have a pond (damn big one too)!" which suggests you are already thinking of it as yours. :)

I'll PM you the listing for the one I'm painting right now when it's up, they do sounds really similar except "mine" was built in the early 1970s. The pole barn is cool and has an attic space that's a cozy little room with windows and a wood-burning stove. Guy is a realtor-client of mine, he buys several "distressed" houses every year, fixes them up nicely and flips them. He's going to be listing this one somewhere between 120-130K. (Yes, the Midwest tends to have extremely cheap real estate!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'll take a older home any day, I live in a one and half story 1922 craftsman style home that I've just about redone every thing to bring it back to where it was in 1922, had every thing updated and up to code, its was still cheaper than buying a new home in my area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
BTW-if there is a well, and you have copper piping, well water can eat away copper piping over the years, causing little pin holes, was thinking about the main house area--when it was built? and what pipes it has in that area. We had to replace all of ours and our house is only 35 years old due to the well water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Beth_B I have to be careful being sold on this house, you caught me claiming it was mine already :LOL:!! There are a couple other farm houses I am interested in but they don't have a pond!. What they do have though is deeper back yards. The plot of this house is more square, with the house and the pond taking up at least half of it. I really want to have deep back yard but hey, a big pond is definitely a wonderful substitute! That sun room though is amazing. Over 500 square feet in that room and it looks like lots of large windows all around. It would be great if you post that listing for me to check out when it becomes available.

@Fernsdaddy The more I think about it the more I think I am going to buy an old house. The main reason being I have to live in the country, which means well and septic tank. They are expensive and I would prefer to not worry about that. Of course, you guys / gals are reminding me to check the condition of both and I will.

@Esther Knapicius Thank you Esther. Another thing to add to my check list that I was not aware of. The listing for this house has it dated to the 1940's so I would think that would be the main area. That means the piping from the well could possibly be 75 years old. I will definitely be checking that out. I plan on having a through inspection of both well and septic tank. I'm also going to talk to neighbors in the area about the water. I figure everyone would be tapping the same source.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I will definitely send you the link when the house is listed. :)

Now I live near (not in, thankfully) Flint and you are no doubt aware of the debacle with the poison water there - its gotten international coverage. So you would surely have lead pipes in a home of that vintage plus arsenic may also be a concern. Would be worth spending the money on a comprehensive water test IMHO.

I'd go for the pond too! I went down to the one at the job to throw bread for the resident ducks and my helper and I walked all around it identifying all the different animal and bird tracks in the snow. Lots of deer (despite them being jumpy because hunting season) because there's about ten apple trees in the property and lots of fallen apples under the snow.

Reaction score
It really depends on what you're looking for. You could buy your own piece of land and build your own house. There are a ton of benefits to that, though it is going to be a bit costly. If you look into just buying your own home, it might cost you a bit less upfront.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@alexiskilgannon what you described was what I was battling in the beginning of my house searching, do I want to start fresh or buy an older house needing some work. Because being out in the country is mandatory, it just isn't cost effective for me to buy land and build a new house. If I was living near town where I could tie into the sewer and water systems it would be a different story. The cheapest 4-5 acre undeveloped area I found for sale in the areas I want to live was $80,000. So far I have found 3 older houses with the same acreage between $130,000 and $150,000. I'll never be able to drill a well, put in a septic tank, and build a house for $50,000 to $70,000 so that settles that.

@Beth_B I heard about the water problems up by you on WJR a while back and that Flint was going to have to go back to buying water from Detroit. I guess what do you expect from Flint? I'm glad you don't live IN Flint because that city has a TERRIBLE reputation with the rest of Michigan and rightly so! How many financial emergencies has that place dealt with recently? And the crime...no thank you!!

Thanks for bringing up the need for a water test. My absolute priorities for whatever house I buy are the condition of the well and the water as well as the condition of the septic tank. My dad told me a third thing that is an absolute priority is the foundation. So those three things have to be in good condition or I won't buy the house. Electrical, plumbing, redesigning and updating the interior..all of those things can be taken care of over time. There is no rush. I can do one room at a time if need be. And I can't look at lets say having up redo some of or all of the electrical as an expensive waste of money. I have to look at whatever money I put into the house as an investment.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I will suggest you build a new house. Go buy that land and build yourself a new designed house. There might be something wrong with the old house you are considering to buy, maybe that is why the owner wants to sell it. Refurbishing the old house might cost you a lot than building a new one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Just as an FYI, to save money. Paint can be expensive. But, in most Home depos or Lowes, they have the "return color paints " Some may be to your liking, BUT--some with an added gallon of white might tone it down to something usable --especially if your doing a large area. Just saying---its worth the check. I know we lucked out a few times, when renovating one of the brown stones, and I wanted a feature wall, found a Ralph Lauren cranberry red--used it---was wonderful. Then, had 1/2 gallon left---and my friend want it for her powder room---she got it free. That gallon cost us $2.00. Then once we got a gallon of this "brown" threw a gallon of white with it and it worked. So its luck of the draw. but worth the check to save money. That "brown" was also cheap /cheap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you Esther for the tip. I usually go to Lowe's when they open early Saturday mornings usually to just look around and drink my coffee. I will be checking out the paint section. If it's cheap and remotely something I may use I'll start picking it up. Might as well start stocking up now right ;)

Ask a Question