Brown spots on Ayers pear tree leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought these Ayers pear trees this spring. They now have brown spots on them
Did the nursery sell me diseased trees? What do I do?

Attachments

• IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 127
Reaction score
Country
United States
The leaves are infected by Fabraea Leaf Spot. The disease starts during cool, moist weather in spring. Heavily infected leaves often drop early. After the weather warms up and dries out, new growth is rarely affected.
Home gardeners need to keep the leaves, raked up and destroy all the fallen leaves in the fall. Also avoid overhead irrigation, with all young trees. Keep the top two inches of soil aerated and loose with a hand cultivator to allow the more oxygen to the roots after every rain or watering. .

Reaction score
Country
United States
The leaves are infected by Fabraea Leaf Spot. The disease starts during cool, moist weather in spring. Heavily infected leaves often drop early. After the weather warms up and dries out, new growth is rarely affected.
Home gardeners need to keep the leaves, raked up and destroy all the fallen leaves in the fall. Also avoid overhead irrigation, with all young trees. Keep the top two inches of soil aerated and loose with a hand cultivator to allow the more oxygen to the roots after every rain or watering. .
Thank you so much! So my pear trees will be fine once these leaves with brown spots drop? I really appreciate the help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought these Ayers pear trees this spring. They now have brown spots on them

I just looked it up on the web, and I read this infection could ruin the leaves, fruit, and tree! If did not sound so benign. Every site I checked said to spray it with fungicide. I am not sure which fungicide to use, can anyone tell me? Did the nursery sell me diseased trees??? I bought these trees this spring!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It takes about 10 days for an infection to become obvious. Fabraea is spread by wind, insects and heavy rain and once infected ALL fallen leaves and twigs must be raked up and burned. Copper based fungicides are required to treat this fungus organically. Chemically, Ferbam is about the best control

Reaction score
Country
United States
What copper based fungicide do you recommend? I have never done this before and I would welcome instructions. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What copper based fungicide do you recommend? I have never done this before and I would welcome instructions. Thank you!
I have always used Liquid Copper Fungicide by Southern Ag, but, there are others such as Bonide Copper Fungicide which are readily available.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have always used Liquid Copper Fungicide by Southern Ag, but, there are others such as Bonide Copper Fungicide which are readily available.
Thank you so much. If you have time, will you tell me exactly how you apply it. I appreciate you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you so much. If you have time, will you tell me exactly how you apply it. I appreciate you!
I use it @2oz per gallon of water. I use a handheld pump up sprayer and spray both top and bottom of leaves, all stems and trunk until mixture drips off. On an infection such as yours I would spray every 7 days.

Ask a Question