Areca Palms leaves turning black with yellowish brown spots- need help !

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi All,

My Areca Palms leaves turning black with yellowish brown spots suddenly. The darkening of the leaves is increasing every day. It is placed in my living room near the balcony door and gets ample amount of light throughout the day.

I bought it 3 weeks back from the nursery. My nursery guy told me they add the soil+cocopeat mixture in the pots (no fertilizer). I use Seaweed solution for all my plants every 15-20 days. I live in Bangalore, India where the temperature is quite pleasant (no extreme weather).

Attaching some pics of the plant and affected area. For the time being, I have cut the affected blackish leaves.

Please help if anyone knows what could be the possible reason for this issue.

Btw I bought 2 palms together and the other one is doing perfectly fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 4,455
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 1,557
  • IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1766.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 901
  • image_123923953.JPG
    image_123923953.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 580
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Are the palms located next to each other or in different sections of the room? What may be happening is that the sunlight through the glass may be burning the leaves. Indoors you don’t have the wind movement to cool the fronds like outside. If you don’t have UV protectant glass, plants can burn when exposed to the sunlight through glass. The good news is that these plants are strong and can recover from almost anything.

Reaction score
Country
India
Welcome to the forum.

Are the palms located next to each other or in different sections of the room? What may be happening is that the sunlight through the glass may be burning the leaves. Indoors you don’t have the wind movement to cool the fronds like outside. If you don’t have UV protectant glass, plants can burn when exposed to the sunlight through glass. The good news is that these plants are strong and can recover from almost anything.

HI, thanks for the revert. Plants are kept in separate rooms. The Glassdoor is open the entire day for wind movement plus currently its early monsoon in my region so Sun is not very strong. I take care of water & sun requirement for the plant , so I think that might not be teh problem.

I noticed the other day some black spots (might be sooty mold) near the trunk area. Was thinking if decaying is cos of that. I have done neem oil & Hydrogen peroxide spray. Now hoping it will recover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Post some pictures of yours along with how long you've had it and how you care for it. To me it looked like a water and possibly bacterial issue.

Ask a Question