Bonsai Tree?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! I got my dad a bamboo palm which he loves and I still lookin for the Bonsai trees and dont seem to find many options here in Durbs.

That's great that you found one your dad likes :) Bamboo sounds interesting to me as well.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Unfortunately a lot of people are under that impression. Part of that is because bonsai shows are usually held indoors. But a bonsai is just an ordinary tree that has been dwarfed as a result of pruning. If you plant one in the ground it will eventually grow back into a full size tree. As trees naturally grow outdoors, bonsai need similar conditions. Ficus are tropical trees so they like warm conditions and can't survive in extreme cold.

I must admit that when I started out I also wanted to grow bonsai indoors and I killed a few trees before I learnt that most of them need to be outside.

The tree in my profile picture is an indigenous South African Ficus which I grew from a cutting.

Good luck. I hope you find a really nice Ficus and that it gives you years of happiness.

I, too, was thinking of having an indoor Bonsai plant and I'm really glad I ran into this thread! Public perception indeed seems to be that bonsai plants are decorative indoor plants. Thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I, too, was thinking of having an indoor Bonsai plant and I'm really glad I ran into this thread! Public perception indeed seems to be that bonsai plants are decorative indoor plants. Thanks for the advice!

You can still have an indoor Bonsai tree just as long as you choose it carefully. And if you do get one, it's important to see that it gets enough light.The tree in my profile photo (a Ficus) doesn't live inside, but it could survive indoors happily if I wanted it to.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You can still have an indoor Bonsai tree just as long as you choose it carefully. And if you do get one, it's important to see that it gets enough light.The tree in my profile photo (a Ficus) doesn't live inside, but it could survive indoors happily if I wanted it to.

Thanks again for the tips, Gina! I'll have to check out the resource you linked to see whether a bonsai is still feasible to me. I worry about the level of sunlight, as I may only get 3-4 hours per day where I am. If light is a sensitive issue for bonsai trees, then the idea may be a non-starter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Thanks again for the tips, Gina! I'll have to check out the resource you linked to see whether a bonsai is still feasible to me. I worry about the level of sunlight, as I may only get 3-4 hours per day where I am. If light is a sensitive issue for bonsai trees, then the idea may be a non-starter!

It's not essential that it's sunlight. Strong artificial light will do for some bonsai trees too. Here's an article about growing bonsai under artificial lighting that may be useful to you: BONSAI . . . MY WAY! I haven't read it yet myself, but Jerry Meislik is a very well known bonsai artist, so I'm sure he has a lot of useful advice to offer.

Don't give up on the idea of growing bonsai. It's a great hobby and I'm sure you'll be able to find a tree that's suited to the conditions you can give it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks once again for the advice and encouragement! This was quite the informative article. I've always been a bit skeptical of whether artificial lighting can do the job, but if it is recommended by him, I'll have to reconsider them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Thanks once again for the advice and encouragement! This was quite the informative article. I've always been a bit skeptical of whether artificial lighting can do the job, but if it is recommended by him, I'll have to reconsider them.

I'm glad I could help. Keep me posted when you get a tree. I'd love to know what you choose.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
My dad loves the bamboo palm but I also managed to find a Bonsai again, not sure which one it is but to trim it they give instructions and it has little fruits on it. It really looks beautiful and I am going to enjoy trying to look after and maintain it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
My dad loves the bamboo palm but I also managed to find a Bonsai again, not sure which one it is but to trim it they give instructions and it has little fruits on it. It really looks beautiful and I am going to enjoy trying to look after and maintain it.

Post a photo here and somebody might be able to identify the species. Little fruits sounds like it might be a Cotoneaster or Pyracantha.

Good luck with your little tree. Bonsai that get fruit for flowers are lovely.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Thank you I will post a pic when I get to my dads house so that we can identify it.

Ask a Question