bone meal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'm reading the description of some Rabbit Hill Farm products and, on their Tomato & Pepper Food, it says:

"Tomato & Pepper Food is blended special for both container and field grown plants. Tomato & Pepper Food is blended for produce; therefore, it does not contain bone meal."

Why won't they use bone meal for produce?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I Googled around a bit and found a couple things (FWIW). First the original owners have retired and sold the company to Maestro-Gro, Inc. and the current product appears to contain bone meal.
The other thing was (or perhaps still is, in Europe anyway)
possibility, however remote , of mad cow disease being transmitted by inhaling some of the powder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Sorry, you'll have to bear with me, but what is bone meal?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I also want to know what a bone meal is. If my hunch is correct, bone meal is a powdered bone of animals like the bones in the meat that we buy from the market. This reminds me when we moved in to this house in 2001, my husband noticed the soil needs fertilizer. And our food was mussels, that seashell with a not so hard shell. My husband ground the shells and mixed it in the soil. He said that would enrich the soil. So that is similar to my idea of bone meal?

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Many vegetarians are upset that plants live off of bone meal and blood meal and the compost of animals, so they will only eat plants treated solely with synthetic fertilizers, artificial chemicals, and will go outside of the natural cycle of how plants live.

Last edited:

Ask a Question