Blueberry leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Anyone have any ideas why this is happening to my blueberry plant? I'm wondering if maybe Texas just hates gardens...

Attachments

• Blueberry leaves.jpg
    Blueberry leaves.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 153
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Anyone have any ideas why this is happening to my blueberry plant? I'm wondering if maybe Texas just hates gardens...
How long has the plant been in the ground? Aren't you in the Heavy Blackland Clay soils or are you on the verge of the east texas acidic soils. Your plant looks like it is growing in soils too alkaline. Your Ph should be around 5.0 and the only soils like that are in far east Texas in the Piney Woods AFAIK. If your soil is about neutral (+/- 7.0) it will still look like that and keep struggling. The Blackland Clay soils are way to alkaline for blueberries. The only semi-successful blueberries grown anywhere in Texas except in far east Texas are in containers of peat.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, Chuck!

I'd say 2-1/2 months - in containers actually, planted in 100% peat moss recommended by local "expert"? I will check PH and update but last I checked it was well close to 5.0.

I am in Cedar Creek - about 25-minutes east of Austin. Soil here is pretty much mud-pie clay. Not black but more of a chocolate brown just FYI. I did use it mixed with about 40% garden soil for my peach tree in 1/2 wine barrel (different topic I know).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, Chuck!

I'd say 2-1/2 months - in containers actually, planted in 100% peat moss recommended by local "expert"? I will check PH and update but last I checked it was well close to 5.0.

I am in Cedar Creek - about 25-minutes east of Austin. Soil here is pretty much mud-pie clay. Not black but more of a chocolate brown just FYI. I did use it mixed with about 40% garden soil for my peach tree in 1/2 wine barrel (different topic I know).
That's what I thought. At 2 months the plant really hasn't become established. It may come out of it but even if it does production will never be what it should be. Perhaps if you watered it with only rainwater it would help. Your clay soil is great soil, it is alkaline but the main reason it gets a bad reputation is that it is difficult to keep it friable. Add a lot of organic material and you can grow just about anything-----except acid loving plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I should add - the blueberries were in containers at Lowe's, terribly overgrown for the containers they were in, and were blooming but looked just tall and lanky. I trimmed all the blooms off and some old wood. First time growing blueberries so I thought I would see how they do in containers before I ventured into the ground. Sounds to me like the ground isn't such a good idea?

Also, I thought it might be growing new canes from the roots by now? When might that occur given the conditions (if you have an idea)?

We are on city water.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I should add - the blueberries were in containers at Lowe's, terribly overgrown for the containers they were in, and were blooming but looked just tall and lanky. I trimmed all the blooms off and some old wood. First time growing blueberries so I thought I would see how they do in containers before I ventured into the ground. Sounds to me like the ground isn't such a good idea?

Also, I thought it might be growing new canes from the roots by now? When might that occur given the conditions (if you have an idea)?

We are on city water.
I tried growing them years ago and failed so I have no idea about their growing habits. Being on city water means that your water is alkaline just like my well water is and watering with it will guarantee failure at some point. As I said, rain water might be enough for them to grow to fruition, I just don't know for sure. And no, planting them in the ground will only speed up their total demise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
10-4 - I think you just solved some of my problems! Every time it rains real good they grow great!

I think I will stop using the hose when it doesn't rain and maybe add a little vinegar to a watering can to acid the water up a little and see what happens.

Thanks a million!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
10-4 - I think you just solved some of my problems! Every time it rains real good they grow great!

I think I will stop using the hose when it doesn't rain and maybe add a little vinegar to a watering can to acid the water up a little and see what happens.

Thanks a million!
Only use apple cider vinegar.

Ask a Question