Blueberry bushes with red leaves - HELP !

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a blueberry patch in Connecticut where I have a dozen bushed that I planted over the last three years. This year I added 5 bushes and over the last month their leaves have turned very red. When I planted them I mixed loam, dirt and sand as instructed. I have drip line around them that waters them for 20 minutes twice every other day. I just tested the soil and the pH was 6 and the nutrients were low, so I added a tablespoon of soil acidifier and 2.5 tablespoons of berry fertilizer per plant (per the instructions) and watered it in well. For good measure, I also sprayed all the plants with neem oil. I am hopeful that this will help get them back on track.

The newer trees (which I bought at home depot) are almost all red at this point and I am noticing that even the 3 year old trees are starting to get red on the leaves. The older plants have splotches of red with dots which makes me wonder if this is a fungus, not an acid or nutrient deficiency. I posted pictures of four of the trees on this thread - 2 trees I planted this spring that are mostly red now and 2 three year old threes that only have some red starting now.

If you have any advice on diagnosing and treating this, I would REALLY appreciate it !!!

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    341.9 KB · Views: 337
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    377.7 KB · Views: 349
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 322
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    333.9 KB · Views: 315
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Aside from the fact that it is natural for their leaves to turn red and yellow and orange and fall off during the fall the other reason is a lack of phosphorus. Your plants look to be in perfect condition.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PH at 6 is high though Jamie but many blueberry varieties do turn red as summer declines and autumn approaches
I would not be feeding them right now either.....:)

Ask a Question