Blueberry bushes

Reaction score
Our blueberry bushes are out.of.control. And on top of that, they don't produce fruit.
This was our second summer and I was hopeful that this year they would produce but it didn't happen. Does anyone have any ideas as to why not? A co worker told me that I need a male and female bush to produce......how would I know the difference? Any ideas would be appreciated.

As for the "out of control" part: how do you trim these? We have them across the side of our house and they are spreading like mad.....and tips for this would be appreciated too.

(My raspberries are doing the same....spreading, I mean. Their fruits are plentiful)

Thanks!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They have male and female parts on the same bush, but don't pollinate themselves, I noticed you said bushes so pollination shouldn't be a problem.

I'm guessing the soil might not be acidic enough, they need a low ph, about 5.5. Don't water them with tap water, just rain water.

A feed with Blood, Fish & Bone meal each season will help too.

Take out older branches in the winter to prune them :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have old blueberry bushes, and new bushes planted last summer and two more planted this spring. None of the new bushes produced this year either, while my old bushes were heavy producers. I believe blueberries take several years to produce as they build a strong root system. Don't be discouraged. Think of them more like fruit trees .. taking time to mature. You may see blooms this next spring. My blueberries are 30+ years old and once they started producing have done so consistently, you just have to be patient.

Ask a Question