Blossom End Rot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anyone ever saw blossom end rot on a tomato that was red? I have on green ones (usually the first couple tomatoes) before but never a red one. I'm kind of dumbfounded on this video. To me it looks like the "blossom end rot" was painted on the tomato. Huh?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never seen BER start to show on a red tomato. BER usually starts in the green stage but I have seen it start in the white stage.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It sure does look like it was painted on for the video...if you look carefully especially the center of the area that is supposedly BER.

Video makers instant fame and fortune?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had it one year I can remember on at least one red tomato. I only remember it because it was huge and I was excitingly waiting for it to turn. I didn't notice the rot until I picked it. After that I leaned to always check the bottoms of the tomatoes. So I guess if you leave a green tomato on that has blossom end rot it can still get ripe. I didn't watch the video so I am guessing that is what you are referring to.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I started to watch the video but when I seen the black marker scribble on the bottom of the tomato I didn't want to waste anymore time lol. That was 100% fake.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I started to watch the video but when I seen the black marker scribble on the bottom of the tomato I didn't want to waste anymore time lol. That was 100% fake.
Hehe. That was SBER. Sharpie Blossom End Rot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The video maker is trying to give his tomato the LOOK of BER; do you expect him to mistreat his tomatoes so that they really get it?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The video maker is trying to give his tomato the LOOK of BER; do you expect him to mistreat his tomatoes so that they really get it?

That's true but it would have been better if he used the marker and put it on during the video or at least said it was marker to show what BER would somewhat look like instead of trying to make it sound like it was actual BER. Also he should have used a green tomato since it usually starts when they are green. If I didn't know anything about BER and seen that I would assume it affects ripe tomatoes and not green ones. Then again I only watched a minute of it so maybe he mentioned all that later on.

Ask a Question