Wrinkled leaves maybe blossom end rot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Howdy!

And so it begins. I have my first unknown issue with a Cherokee purple tomato plant growing in a 10gal fabric pot. The weather has been wonky lately. Some days I relied on the rain, but often barely any would come so the watering may have been too sporadic. For few weeks this plant looked like it was setting fruit, but the fruit would never actually grow. Now some of the branches, leaves are getting shriveled/wrinkled. I’m wondering if the fruit are blossom-end rotting before they even get a chance. I say this because another plant (in a different location) definitely has clear blossom end rot.

What do y’all think?

IMG_7802.jpeg

IMG_7803.jpeg

IMG_7804.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
It looks like an aborted blossom. Blossom end rot only effects the fruit.

What are your day time and night time temperatures right now? That will help determine if it is an aborted blossom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Howdy!

And so it begins. I have my first unknown issue with a Cherokee purple tomato plant growing in a 10gal fabric pot. The weather has been wonky lately. Some days I relied on the rain, but often barely any would come so the watering may have been too sporadic. For few weeks this plant looked like it was setting fruit, but the fruit would never actually grow. Now some of the branches, leaves are getting shriveled/wrinkled. I’m wondering if the fruit are blossom-end rotting before they even get a chance. I say this because another plant (in a different location) definitely has clear blossom end rot.

What do y’all think?

View attachment 95500
View attachment 95501
View attachment 95502
That is not BER. BER starts to show on green tomatoes fairly close to the time they begin to turn into the white stage. The reason the blooms are doing that is because the nighttime low temperatures have been wrong and fruit set is not accomplished. An example of this is the bud/bloom to the left of the dried bloom you are holding. It is a yellowish color. It will soon drop off of the plant because it did not set fruit The dried bloom you are holding has set fruit even though you cannot see it. If you will observe the crook, the joint in the stem directly above the bloom you will see it is still green, while on the other bloom it is yellow. When you see a dried or missing flower and that joint is green, you can pretty well bet money it has set fruit. Your plants look very good overall. However, do you notice all those bumps on the leaves and the dark dark green color. This is a sign of too much fertilizer. Not too much to harm the plant but still a little too much. It is still very early in the season and our weather has not been as stable as we would like. Your plant is doing great, just give it time. Have you applied epsom salts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That is not BER. BER starts to show on green tomatoes fairly close to the time they begin to turn into the white stage. The reason the blooms are doing that is because the nighttime low temperatures have been wrong and fruit set is not accomplished. An example of this is the bud/bloom to the left of the dried bloom you are holding. It is a yellowish color. It will soon drop off of the plant because it did not set fruit The dried bloom you are holding has set fruit even though you cannot see it. If you will observe the crook, the joint in the stem directly above the bloom you will see it is still green, while on the other bloom it is yellow. When you see a dried or missing flower and that joint is green, you can pretty well bet money it has set fruit. Your plants look very good overall. However, do you notice all those bumps on the leaves and the dark dark green color. This is a sign of too much fertilizer. Not too much to harm the plant but still a little too much. It is still very early in the season and our weather has not been as stable as we would like. Your plant is doing great, just give it time. Have you applied epsom salts?
Fantastic, I'm so used to my plants not doing well that I'm just waiting for something to go wrong haha. Yea I'll ease up on the fertilizer too... they have plenty of love.

And yes @Toddz , our temps have been crazy. It was 50degF this morning and will probably get to 80 today haha.

@Chuck No I haven't applied epson salts, I did last year to some areas I believe, but I just don't know enough about it to apply any this year. Is this pretty standard for potted veggies and a yearly thing with beds?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It will bounce back. :)

Ask a Question