Bird scarer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We seem to get a lot of birds in our garden, despite the fact that we have a very active and agile cat (we have got a lot of "presents" recently!) But not only do I not want the cat to get them, I don't want them eating the veg or pecking the grass seed. Is there anything I can use to scare them away?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I could send you a poster sized personal portrait, that would be scary :)

There are various items available that may work (and moving them around once in a while can help) plastic owls, snakes, try googling 'scary eye birds' Foil strips, foil pie plates that swing in the breeze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I want to scare them,not kill them ;) Thank you, I will definitely try some of the foil strips in the overhanging tree, I just don't want any more massacres!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have many different types of birds around too, and there are stray cats all over the neighborhood. However, I love watching the birds, and I have three feeders for them.

I think windsocks would probably best to scare them from your garden. I don't like them eating grass seeds either, but they are just birds :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with the above suggestions - another thought might be a model of a hawk? Might be worth a try!

I read about something called a cat bib the other day - looks like a good way to protect birds from your feline friend! https://catgoods.com/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know that the plastic owls are only effective for a short while until the birds get used to the owl and eventually understand that the owl will not harm them. Another thing you could try is an electronic bird deflector. It basically sends out frequency signals that the birds do not like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I read about something called a cat bib the other day - looks like a good way to protect birds from your feline friend! https://catgoods.com/
I couldn't do that to my kitties. The bib seems very uncomfortable and I don't think they'd be happy. I love birds, and taking pictures of them, but in nature, slow and weak critters die. I just assume I'll let Mother Nature do her thing :)

It seems like the bib would stop cats from killing mice and snakes, too, so that defeats the purpose of having outside cats, in my opinion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't do that to my kitties. The bib seems very uncomfortable and I don't think they'd be happy. I love birds, and taking pictures of them, but in nature, slow and weak critters die. I just assume I'll let Mother Nature do her thing :)

It seems like the bib would stop cats from killing mice and snakes, too, so that defeats the purpose of having outside cats, in my opinion.

Yeah I see your point, I can't imagine cats like it too much! I saw this photo the other day which made me chuckle - if looks could kill...

NYbNu65.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have many different types of birds around too, and there are stray cats all over the neighborhood. However, I love watching the birds, and I have three feeders for them.

I think windsocks would probably best to scare them from your garden. I don't like them eating grass seeds either, but they are just birds :)
Thank you, I will give anything a try because I am getting sick of having quite so many corpses lying around the garden!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that the plastic owls are only effective for a short while until the birds get used to the owl and eventually understand that the owl will not harm them. Another thing you could try is an electronic bird deflector. It basically sends out frequency signals that the birds do not like.
Wow thank you, I will give that a try, the noise will not hurt my cat will it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't think the noise will hurt the cat. We use one of these devices in the warehouse at my work because there is a pigeon problem. You will hear a clicking noise coming from it at the beginning, but then your mind will drown out the sound and you will not hear it any longer. It is not supposed to be harmful to any life, the birds just don't like the sound so they will stay away.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It sounds silly, and the neighbors will laugh, but those bright colored pinwheels sold as children's toys work. Just stick them in the ground or tie them to a stake and let the wind make them move. They are cheap, rather decorative if you are lacking in esthetics, and keep the birds away until your seeds have a chance to germinate.
Whoever put that bib on the cat in the picture is in for BIG trouble.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It sounds silly, and the neighbors will laugh, but those bright colored pinwheels sold as children's toys work. Just stick them in the ground or tie them to a stake and let the wind make them move. They are cheap, rather decorative if you are lacking in esthetics, and keep the birds away until your seeds have a chance to germinate.
Whoever put that bib on the cat in the picture is in for BIG trouble.

Pinwheels work to keep birds away? That is a neat solution and a colorful one at that. I wonder what makes them work, the colors perhaps? I would have never thought that pinwheels would be used as bird scarers. I don't think they would look silly in the garden at all, if anything they would brighten up the colors a little.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Rosy, I think it is the movement rather than the color that keeps birds away. Birds are always on the lookout for predators, and moving objects can be considered predators in their tiny little bird brains.

Ask a Question