Best way to grow Sunflowers

Reaction score
I have some sunflowers which already germinated indoors, but i'm not sure what to do next, i have them on a window that gets sun direct sun at least 4-5 hours a day, should i take them out to direct sunlight or leave them in doors? its been about 3 days since they germinated, i really want to know what the best way to get a nice and healthy sunflower is, thanks in advanced :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have some sunflowers which already germinated indoors, but i'm not sure what to do next, i have them on a window that gets sun direct sun at least 4-5 hours a day, should i take them out to direct sunlight or leave them in doors? its been about 3 days since they germinated, i really want to know what the best way to get a nice and healthy sunflower is, thanks in advanced :p
The more sun sunflowers get the better but I would wait until they have 2 sets of true leaves before leaving them outside. Just don't let them dry out and keep them out of the wind if it is blowing very hard and bring back inside if there is to be a weather change. Don't fertilize them until the 2 sets of true leaves and then only lightly with organic fertilizer until they are ready to be transplanted into the garden

Last edited:
Reaction score
About a week to ten days before you plan on putting them in the ground you should take them outside to harden them off. Make sure that they are protected from the wind when you do. Generally I prefer to sow the seeds into the ground and let them grow from there.

Reaction score
I agree that you need to take them outside for a day or so first. Otherwise, it might be too much of a shock for them outdoors. Good luck with your sunflowers!

Ask a Question