Which are the best plants to grow indoor?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Mexico
Hello, everybody! I recently bought a beautiful sunflower at the mall and I brought it home excited for it to cheer up my new place. However, I have few windows and a small place to put plants outside that, sadly, doesn’t get much sunlight, so it quickly died on me. I am now looking for better options for any type of plant that could properly live inside my apartment without much sunlight, so I would really appreciate your recommendations!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hello Fanypetunia104!:)
Peace lilies don't need a lot of sunlight and they're beautiful. Same goes for ivies and ferns:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
If you care for something novelty then you can try ginger in a pot. It is good for decoration in the living room if your intention is to add something green. And although ginger needs sunlight, it is contented in sunning once a week. Another bonus is that you get the ginger roots that you can use in cooking. How about that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I honestly think herbs are fun to grow indoors - if you have a kitchen windowsill that gets some light, it would be good to have some stuff there! The added bonus of having herbs growing in your kitchen is that when it comes to cooking, you have fresh herbs right at your fingertips!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Mexico
Hello Fanypetunia104!:)
Peace lilies don't need a lot of sunlight and they're beautiful. Same goes for ivies and ferns:)

I've googled images of them (the peace lilies) and they are beautiful, I will definitely buy one. As for ivies and ferns, I'm a much bigger fan of ferns than ivies and my mom used to have some when I was little so when I go to the market I'll see if they have any! Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Mexico
If you care for something novelty then you can try ginger in a pot. It is good for decoration in the living room if your intention is to add something green. And although ginger needs sunlight, it is contented in sunning once a week. Another bonus is that you get the ginger roots that you can use in cooking. How about that?

That sounds amazing! It's not only a great unique idea, I also love ginger root tea and would love to have my own to get it from there. Thank you so much for this suggestion, I will make more research on it (so it doesn't die on me) but I will definitely try this one!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Mexico
I honestly think herbs are fun to grow indoors - if you have a kitchen windowsill that gets some light, it would be good to have some stuff there! The added bonus of having herbs growing in your kitchen is that when it comes to cooking, you have fresh herbs right at your fingertips!

I've never tought of that, actually. It would be lovely to have some mint or parsley, as I love to use them when I cook fish and they will add a spark of green to my grey kitchen. My only question is... are they hard to take care of? Do they need constant watering or a special type of soil?

Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've googled images of them (the peace lilies) and they are beautiful, I will definitely buy one. As for ivies and ferns, I'm a much bigger fan of ferns than ivies and my mom used to have some when I was little so when I go to the market I'll see if they have any! Thank you so much!
Always happy to help:) You can see pictures of my peace lily in this thread: https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/my-lovely-peace-lily.6566/
This plant is very easy to grow:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
That sounds amazing! It's not only a great unique idea, I also love ginger root tea and would love to have my own to get it from there. Thank you so much for this suggestion, I will make more research on it (so it doesn't die on me) but I will definitely try this one!

No worries about dying since ginger is a sturdy plant. I think it is in the family of grass just like a small bamboo which can thrive in any weather except in too cold places. And there are varieties of ginger. We have small ginger here that fits snuggly in a pot and some big ones that grow up ot 2 feet tall and produces bigger ginger roots (rhizome). And in making ginger tea, the muscovado (brown) is the best match.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a big fan of bamboo plants. I think they are easy to grow and other then requiring a lot of water they don't require much maintenance. I've had my bamboo plant for about 15 years and it has grown to be very large. Occasionally the leaves turn yellow, but they are easy to pick right off.

Reaction score
In my home country we had Snake Plants in the different parts of our house (living room, dining room, kitchen, entertainment room, and even in our toilet.) For reason that this kind of plants purifies the air that is why for us it is a good kind of indoor plants to grow.

snake-plant.jpg

Reaction score
In my home country we had Snake Plants in the different parts of our house (living room, dining room, kitchen,entertainment room, and even in our toilet.) For reason that this kind of plants purifies the air that is why for us it is a good kind of indoor plants to grow.

snake-plant.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Mexico
I'm a big fan of bamboo plants. I think they are easy to grow and other then requiring a lot of water they don't require much maintenance. I've had my bamboo plant for about 15 years and it has grown to be very large. Occasionally the leaves turn yellow, but they are easy to pick right off.

I tried having bamboo once, a few years ago, and I had it in a glass with colored beads that apparently gave it the water it needed. Nevertheless, it died on me and I always thougth it was the weather around here: quite dry and cold. Any tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Mexico
In my home country we had Snake Plants in the different parts of our house (living room, dining room, kitchen, entertainment room, and even in our toilet.) For reason that this kind of plants purifies the air that is why for us it is a good kind of indoor plants to grow.

Such a cool plant! I think I have seen one in my grandmother's house but I never knew of its properties. Also, they look so stylish to me for some reason, I think that with a white pot it would look divine in my bathroom. Thank you!

Reaction score
Such a cool plant! I think I have seen one in my grandmother's house but I never knew of its properties. Also, they look so stylish to me for some reason, I think that with a white pot it would look divine in my bathroom. Thank you!

Yes you are right this is such a cool plant! And one thing it is just easy to take care of this plant. Putting this kind of plant in a white pot is a good idea and it matches to the color combination of green and yellow of this plant and I am sure it will be a nice attraction in your bathroom and at the same time it will helps purify the air in that area of your house.

Ask a Question