Best Potatoes for Zone 8b ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Watch this mans video. He grew 235 lbs of potatoes in 10 gallon pots. He plants 4 potato eyes in each 10 gallon pot and gets 15 to 20 lbs of new potatoes in his other video where he waters the plants. This video is about no water but England gets rain almost every day. Notice he grows red potatoes not white. He has about 20 videos and 1 video compares red potatoes to white potatoes.

I have one 10 gallon pot. I wanted to buy more 10 gallon pots but $15 each is too expensive. $300 of potting soil to fill 20 pots is too expensive also. I copied his way of growing potatoes but I am doing it in 3 rows side by side.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
He grew some nice Sarpo Miras but I'm not at all impressed with his productivity numbers.

His ratio was 1.2 lbs per sq. ft. Not impressive.

My ratio in my recent potato experiment using my HK containers was 3.3 lbs per sq. ft. That is significantly higher production. Maybe I should have made a video, LOL.

Reaction score
Country
United States
He grew some nice Sarpo Miras but I'm not at all impressed with his productivity numbers.

His ratio was 1.2 lbs per sq. ft. Not impressive.

My ratio in my recent potato experiment using my HK containers was 3.3 lbs per sq. ft. That is significantly higher production. Maybe I should have made a video, LOL.

Did you see he put 4 potato cutting in a 10 gallon pot and grew 15 lbs of new potatoes from 4 potato plants. That is almost 4 lbs of new potatoes per plant. In his other videos he waters 4 plant in a 10 gallon pot and grows 16 to 22 lbs of new potatoes that is 4 to 5 lbs of new potatoes per plant.

Round pots take put more sq ft than straight rows. My potato bed is 32" wide 32 ft long = 85.3 sq ft. I hope to grow 400 lbs of RED new potatoes and 100 lbs of WHITE new potatoes.

My Red potato bed is 42.5 sq ft. 400 / 42.5 = 9.4 lbs new potatoes per sq ft.

My White potato bed is 42.5 sq ft. 100 / 42.5 = 2.35 lbs new potatoes per sq ft.

I might have better luck with white potatoes this year because I am doing irrigation about 30 gallons of water every 3 days all summer. So far 2 month of rain every day I don't need to water plants. White potatoes never grow good here in TN.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Not impressed. Not impressed at all. In my experiment, about half of mine were non-red potatoes in containers.

I outproduced him, even with white potatoes by about three times.

Nope, not impressed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Growing up in southern Illinois my grandfather only grew white potatoes. He use to say, if you don't do it right you won't have any new potatoes. I watched but never got to help plant. We had a 1" rain every day about 5 pm all summer. He planted 3 or 4 rows side by side like I do. 4 months later there was 500 lbs of potatoes to dig up. My cousin and i hauled several wheel barrel load of potatoes to the seller. It took me many years to learn to grow potatoes in TN. Our summer weather is 100° desert four 5 months.

Ask a Question