Best way to grow sweet potatoes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've got some beds that I am hoping to grow sweet potatoes in. Can I sprout ones from the supermarket and then plant or is there some other better way? I'm in Southeast Coastal Georgia.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There are some really good videos on youtube. One of the better posts is "Old southern Homestead". He seemsto be very knowledgeable.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've cut them in half and poke tooth picks in them. 4 total at 90 degrees from one another so they will hold themselves up in a glass of water. Partially in the water and placed on a window sil. Once it gets sprouts going you can cut chunks off and plant those. I've also just planted whole sweet potatoes in the ground. They like it sunny and moist.

I don't plant them anymore because they do too well and take over a large area covering over other plants. The vines will root and start more potatoes. It got difficult get all of them out. If I had more land I'd make a dedicated place just for them..

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... If I had more land I'd make a dedicated place just for them..
That's exactly what I am doing this year. I'm putting them in a 75 ft row that borders an open bed area...Murasaki and an Asian white sweet potato.

Ask a Question