Best Blueberries and Raspberries for Coastal North Carolina?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
gotcha! i'm thinking 3 in one location or 4 in another, so i should be good?

Also, would they be a good landscaping plant? both locations would be by the house as part of the landscape.
Not a good landscape plant unless you understand how to prune. Then every plant is a landscape plant so its a moot point. You could bonsai them.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Also....would raspberries and blackberries be friends, if i plant them next to each other?

Raspberries would be friends with the devil if it didn't stop its spreading. LOL. Seriously though, they might well cross pollinate giving you who knows what?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not a good landscape plant unless you understand how to prune. Then every plant is a landscape plant so its a moot point. You could bonsai them.
Well, I’d never put raspeberries, for example, in a landscape on the side of the house, bc of their rambling nature. Of course I will prune them into a rounded shape, but I wondered if they are naturally a good-looking bush this purpose.
Raspberries would be friends with the devil if it didn't stop its spreading. LOL. Seriously though, they might well cross pollinate giving you who knows what?
I can see that! Good thing I have lots of space they can ramble on in the tree clearings.

And maybe I’ll throw in a blackberry bush and see what happens ☺️

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Actually I would say tbey could easily be used in a landscape, but they can be tall and leggy, and not particularly dense, so it would need perhaps a casual setting with shorter plants under them or in front. They cane, so thats a little weird

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Actually I would say tbey could easily be used in a landscape, but they can be tall and leggy, and not particularly dense, so it would need perhaps a casual setting with shorter plants under them or in front. They cane, so thats a little weird
Exactly. I’m sure they can be incorporated into some landscapes, but I’m looking for more of a classic look, so raspberries are going in the tree clearings along the side and back lines of our property along with the support you suggested.

But the blueberry bushes, if they look civil enough, I’d like to integrate into the sides or back of the house:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Exactly. I’m sure they can be incorporated into some landscapes, but I’m looking for more of a classic look, so raspberries are going in the tree clearings along the side and back lines of our property along with the support you suggested.

But the blueberry bushes, if they look civil enough, I’d like to integrate into the sides or back of the house:)
Lord knows the Elder Euro Cousins on this site have VAST knowledge of what formal can really mean. @zigs, @Ian, @Becky any directions for my new friend? I am afraid I am too rural to even speculate on the subject.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Lord knows the Elder Euro Cousins on this site have VAST knowledge of what formal can really mean. @zigs, @Ian, @Becky any directions for my new friend? I am afraid I am too rural to even speculate on the subject.

I'm afraid I don't have any direct experience with growing raspberries or blueberries, maybe @zigs can help?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Also....would raspberries and blackberries be friends, if i plant them next to each other?

I really wouldn't plant Blackberries (Rubus fruiticosus) All they want to do is conquer the world, they send out arching branches that take root at the tips and very quickly turn a garden into a thorny impenetrable jungle :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Here is a pic of a blackberry Touching down like @zigs described. Once it sends up a cane I cut the old one away.
IMG_20190411_161651.jpg

@alp do you have any good references for edible plants like blueberry in a more formal garden setting? I am afraid my English to English translation app is broken again.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@alp do you have any good references for edible plants like blueberry in a more formal garden setting? I am afraid my English to English translation app is broken again.

:unsure:And my ability to decipher American English leaves me none the wiser! Ah, we are both hopeless! :unsure::giggle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Maybe “formal” is not the right word. It’s nit a fancy garden. But just clean look. Maybe I should post photos of my spaces to give you a better idea.

On another note, spoke to the Arboretum folks and will be dropping off a soil sample either today or Monday for them to send out on Tuesday. Results back in two weeks. She recommended planting to cultivars of a Rabbiteye blueberry bushes. The space I’m thinking about is in front of my kitchen windows and will accommodate for decent size bushes easily. I’m really hoping that space will work. Be back with pictures in a little bit!

Ask a Question