Beautiful flowering tree, what is it ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I live in Alabama, and am a transplant from North Idaho, so I am still learning about Southern trees and flowers. The first tree that blossoms in the spring (it is blooming all over right now) is one that is covered in creamy white blossoms. I don't remember ever seeing any fruit on one of these trees later, so I think they must be an ornamental of some sort. I noticed there is one out in my yard (we moved to this house late last summer) , so I am going to watch it closely and see if it produces any kind of fruit, small or otherwise, but if anyone knows what kind of tree this is, I would love to know !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maybe it would help if you posted a photograph. It's kind of hard to identify a tree without seeing it. Does your cell phone have a camera?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Dr.Case, I looked up the pictures of a Bradford Pear on the Internet, and you are exactly right ...... That is what is in the yard. And now that I see what the fruit actually looks like, I remember seeing trees with that kind of fruit last fall, it just never occurred to me that it was a pear, and not knowing what it was, I did not try eating any. Now I have also read that people nibble them for snacks, and they are tiny, but edible, I am going to try making some jam or even juice from the "pears" this fall. Thank you very much for the great information !

Ask a Question