Bean bloom

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
These are what we call here in the Appalachian mountains greasy beans.
These beans have been in my family forever and I've probably grown them for at least 30 years.
In all them years I've never seen them have this many bloom and run like they have. Some of them are already out the top of my sticks which some are over 10 feet. .
Some old timer stopped by today and said I planted them on the wrong sign and I'll have all bloom with no beans. I hope to God he's wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20230704_204722738~2.jpg
    IMG_20230704_204722738~2.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you have flowers I don't see why you wouldn't get beans. I sometimes give mine a fine spray of water, it is said to help pollination, but I don't know why.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...Some old timer stopped by today and said I planted them on the wrong sign and I'll have all bloom with no beans. I hope to God he's wrong.
I'm betting he is wrong, and you are looking at a bountiful crop there. I never worry about the "signs" and have never seen it be an issue in over four decades of gardening, so I guess that makes me an "old timer" also.

I've never tried those greasy beans but would like to find some. I'd also bet that after generations of growing that seed in that climate, those beans are about perfectly adapted to it and will yield great results.

Heirloom farmer1969

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
These are what we call here in the Appalachian mountains greasy beans.
These beans have been in my family forever and I've probably grown them for at least 30 years.
In all them years I've never seen them have this many bloom and run like they have. Some of them are already out the top of my sticks which some are over 10 feet. .
Some old timer stopped by today and said I planted them on the wrong sign and I'll have all bloom with no beans. I hope to God he's wrong.
Well all those blooms have made beans!! I've planted these greases many years and have never seen so many beans!! Normally I always have 4 85 to 100 feet rows but this year the other row and a half got washed out by heavy rains and it stayed so wet the rest of May causing me to not be able to replant. It takes the greasy beans forever to make beans so I've got to get them in the ground in late April or early may. That way I can have them all picked right around the time to start planting my winter cover crops.
Here's a picture of them now. I'm thinking I'll be picking in about ten days!!
My fall red-eyed beans are starting to come around now. The couple of warm, sunny days we had before the rain started today really brought them to life.

Attachments

• IMG_20230715_200828486~2.jpg
    IMG_20230715_200828486~2.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230715_200702145~2.jpg
    IMG_20230715_200702145~2.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 8

Heirloom farmer1969

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I eat quite a bit plus I can and freeze a lot.
I sell the majority of them though plus do a lot of bartering for beef, pork and chicken with other farmers over the state.
I've got plenty of room for livestock but I end up always getting attached to any animal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
heavy rains and it stayed so wet the rest of May
I reckon that is your answer. I am not sure, but they look like the beans I call 'Runners', and they do like it wet. Traditionally we used to dig out a good trench and line it with newspaper to hold the moisture, I am cautious of newspaper nowadays, there is so much recycled stuff in it I think it probably has a lot of plastic in it, where it used to be straight wood pulp, tend to use dead leaves and lawn mowings now. they do like it wet.
I have always saved seed as well, there is some good evidence gardeners saving seed select for plants that suit local conditions quite quickly, within five to ten years.

Ask a Question