Bay Area CA Garden Failing to Thrive

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and have very little experience with gardening, but have a problem that's got me at a loss.

A few years ago my fiance and I hired a landscape architect with a related degree from UC Berkeley to design a simple, drought tolerant replacement for our corner lot turf grass front yard. We did this at the height of the drought, and leveraged a rebate program from our local water authority. The previous "lawn" was mostly weeds. We killed off the front lawn and hired a local gardener to till and haul the detritus and plant all the plants for us. The new design included 20 or so different species of plants around two sections of red fescue that my fiance and I planted as plugs as a smaller, no-more replacement for the "grass" we previously had.

This is a rental property, and we performed the conversion with the owner's blessing, willingly coming out of pocket quite a bit because we wanted the property to look nice, and we have a very favorable rent agreement.

Almost three years later, most of the plants that have survived have grown very little, and just seem not to be thriving. Many others (probably 15%) died in the first year. The yard is on drip irrigation, connected to a Rachio weather based irrigation controller.

I know this is a very vague problem, but I just don't know what to do, and don't want to throw a bunch more cash at the problem by hiring someone to figure it out for me - I'm already far deeper into this financially than I wanted to be, but I really want to get this yard growing and am feeling a little pressure from my landlord as well.

Without suggesting that this is the property owner's problem, where do you suggest I begin? We already contacted her and she admitted that some of the plants turned out to be a poor choice to to sunlight being different where they were planted than she anticiptated. She just suggested more water, which didn't solve the problem. I dont want to involve her any more either. I'm very happy to answer whatever questions you may have. I just really need to solve this problem.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum!

Okey dokey. When you have time maybe post a few pics and point out the shady or sunny areas. If it is a windy area might also be a factor.

Please also figure out your growing zone and share that. Then look out! You'll be bombarded with helpful advice :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome Sarge. You will find that gardening is a compilation of many elements. Light, heat, humidity, minimum and maximum temperatures, and the list goes on. Even the correct mixture of plants can determine the success of a garden / landscape. The more info you can provide, the better the chance of getting advice that will revive your landscape.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Lori and Silent, I sure appreciate it!

We're in USDA 9b / Sunset 15, and it's not at all windy here.

I've attached an image of our landscape plan. Tomorrow I'll grab some pictures of the plants that are most troubling for us.

I really appreciate your help with this! I'm a contractor, not a garden guy (though I am trying to become one!), so I'm just at a loss.
landscape w canopies.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Adding more water is most likely just making things worse, since over-watering is one of the most common mistakes first-time gardeners make. You have a large list of plants, many of which I'm not familiar with, since most of my gardening is done with natives. You basically would have to go plant-by-plant and trouble shoot the problem.

These areas that have the plants, what are they mulched with? And how deep is the mulch?

How is the grass doing?

What's your native soil, i.e. clay, sand....?

How moist is your soil around the plants?

How often does the irrigation system water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Roadrunner, thanks for your thoughts: I totally agree about over-watering, and I worried about that myself. The architect did come by and take a look, and suggested I needed more water, which did help a bit in some cases. I have since left watering up to my Rachio weather-based irrigation controller because I'm sure it will do a better job than me.

The mulch is mostly shredded redwood bark ("gorilla hair") though we have also used wood chips from our local landfill recycling station.

Th grass is growing at an agonizingly slow pace, but is finally becoming healthy.

Our soil in the bay area is clay, but we amended it throughout with planter mix from our local garden center when we turned over the soil after removing the "lawn"

It's a bit hard to say how moist the soil is around the plants because of recent rains, which would skew the intent of learning how much water is being applied by irrigation.

Irrigation is handled by a weather-based irrigation controller, so it varies by zone based on the weather.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I personally would go for drought resistant and clay loving plants. It's better to co-operate with nature rather than fighting it.

I would incorporate horse manure and bark mulch to ameliorate the soil structure. I am surprised you didn't go for

cistus
images

images

rosemary
ground hugging ones which will never be straggly, showing bald stems when old.

eryngium Superbum
upload_2018-1-23_19-32-44.jpeg

irises beard ones
IndianC.jpg

osteospermum
osteos.jpg

Echinacea
echinaceaYell.jpg
echSingle (2) - Copy.jpg

Dahlias

Heurcheras

red hot pokers
alstroemerias
Alstoinca.jpg
alstro1Y.jpg

All these can thrive with very little water

Reaction score
Country
United States
distant view of LOROPETALUM CHINENSE.jpg
closeup of LOROPETALUM CHINENSE.jpg
Here are some of the plants we're having the most trouble with.

The lorapetalum chinese against the wall of our house look healthy enough to my eye, but just haven't increased in size one lick, it seems. Following are a distant pic of them, and a closeup.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I personally would go for drought resistant and clay loving plants. It's better to co-operate with nature rather than fighting it.

Hi Alp, all nice plants for sure, but I am not a garden guy and didn't design the yard, I'm just trying to get what is already there to thrive :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another example are the DAPHNE ODORA 'MARGINATA', which also have not grown and look less than healthy, especially the left-most of the two

closeup of DAPHNE ODORA 'MARGINATA'.jpg
right side of walkway.jpg
right side of walkway.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What aspect are those plants please? It's not a good idea to plant too near a brick wall, especially when they are west facing. Brick walls absorb a lot of heat and release it at night. It's like you're baking them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
And lastly from my batch of example issues, is the very sad state of our distant view of DESCHAMPSIA 'NORTHERN LIGHTS', which are barely alive and have absolutely not grown a bit.

distant view of DESCHAMPSIA 'NORTHERN LIGHTS'.jpg
closeup of DESCHAMPSIA 'NORTHERN LIGHTS'.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hopefully, that will be enough info about my sad state of garden affairs to generate some helpful tips from you fine folks! Of course, dont hesitate to ask if there's anything else you'd like to know

Reaction score
Country
United States
What aspect are those plants please? It's not a good idea to plant too near a brick wall, especially when they are west facing. Brick walls absorb a lot of heat and release it at night. It's like you're baking them.

Good thought Alps. There is no brick, it is all light-colored stucco but still worth considering

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We are in Texas, so some of what I recommend may not pertain to a less drought prone area.
Since you are renting, plant in containers which you can move later. Soil, water, fertilizer is easier to handle in a container than in the ground.
Landscape architects are often not the best at selecting plants, since they go for color/height/texture and not necessarily the best plants for the specific situation.
If there is a nursery near you that is not a "big box" plant store, take photos and a list of the plants that you have, and ask for advice. You may have plants that just don't like your soil, the sun/shade exposure, or the amount of moisture they are receiving.
And finally, do not let this deter you from gardening and enjoying greenery. We all make mistakes, pick the wrong plants for the wrong places, and have failures. That's gardening! The successes more than make up for the failures.

Ask a Question