Bay Area CA Garden Failing to Thrive

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
So a lot to take in. I've looked at you plant list and recognize a few and have a few. I can't speak to specific issues at his point as that would be a look at each plant and it's specific needs, but I have a few higher level thoughts. Don't be convinced it's all one thing either. It looks like a very nice, but a little complex with a fair density of plants in certain places.

Hydro Zones - Plants have different watering needs so they should be in Hydro Zones specific to their needs. It's also not but how much necessary, but also when. With any California oaks if you water them in the summer they will dry as with the climate they don't expect rain in summer, we get our rain mostly winter. Is everybody in a correct hydro zone, have you been regularly been watering plants that that don't necessarily need it or want it? I see the citrus in the plant list, but don't know where they are in the yard. They certainly have different water requirements than many of the plants on your list. They on the same valve? do you have a watering plan or blue print? How many valves? Who is on what?

Mulch - You have a lot of mulch going on and that typically is a good thing. However some plants do not want an organic mulch, Lavender for instance. Lavender wants nothing and leave it alone in a patch of dirt. Rocks or gravel ok. Next is your mulch holding excess moisture in the soil? Ca native prefer fast draining and you have clay. With a Carnation plant in a container for instance you can run water on it for a few minutes, soak it and walk away if it has reasonable drainage. I have found Natives do not like to sit in moisture, if a cup or two of water will dampen the soil in and near the root zone only a cup of water is best. The more the soil holds moisture the more cautious you will want to be. Native like their moisture a little more subtle then common plants.

Reflective heat if any - I see plants close to walls, if the walls are south facing they could be generating too much heat.

You have plants under trees. No formal experience with this one but I hope they were cautiously selected, I do know that mismatched trees and under tree growth can be a negative to both in general and as it come to the correct application of water, does the tree and the plants underneath both really have the same water requirements? Is the tree getting what then plants need and not what is right for the tree?

It looks like the Lavender, Germander and Ca Fuchsia are near each other, they all should be reasonably drought tolerant and require little summer water, probably not much controller delivered water in your area. Also some natives do not want fertilizer. They have adapted to the native soil and much of the native soil is low nutrient in many parts and areas of the state.

Also they might have sold you some root bound plants. They will remain stunted for some time (years) and eventually maybe die. I got a few citrus like that but can't bear to dig them out and replace them while they are still alive.

I hope everyone is getting the sun they need? Time of year and other plants in proximity could have an affect.

For starters your best bet would be to check who each of your valves service, what are the requirements for the plants they are servicing. Next what are the plant requirements, the Sunset Western Garden book is a good start. Then maybe pick a couple of then most challenged and take care of them manually. Check the soil before watering and only water once the soil is starting to dry a little.

I just a quick 1 site look up (never trust just 1 source really) for the DESCHAMPSIA 'NORTHERN LIGHTS' and it says they should be kept a little moist and in filtered sun, they look pretty out in the open? That and they are looking almost buried in much?

If you can provided any information as it relates to some of my questions above I'd be interested to know more.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Apart from the grass, the plants don't look too bad. It's after all winter. I would move those plants close to the wall a bit away from the wall. Don't know where you live exactly. If you live in Florida, there must be enough heat in the atmosphere, too much perhaps for a plant to be so near the wall of your house.

For soil: aim for free-draining and moist.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Marlin, greenhorn (wow!) and all, thank you so much for your feedback. I won't have time to really take in your comments for a few days due to work, but wanted to at least acknowledge you all for the carefully considered replies you've posted!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The one thing I see, and the one thing nobody is really mentioning is PH. I bet it is too high. There is an electrical measurement associated with PH called the EC. I bet you have a neutral soil, and not enough oomph in it as a result. Composting mulch runs to the neutral as the components get digested down. I also think you have some cool season plants (northern lights is a name but a clue also) like fescues that may like less heat or more shade. You may need some sulphur to drop your PH, or gypsum if its clay. A soil test could tell great details but definitely check your EC.

Ask a Question