Azealeas not growing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I received an azealea around 2 months ago as a houseplant. Initially it was doing well, but its health began to fail. Its flowers and leaves began to drop rapidly.

I thought it didnt have enough light indoors, so I replanted it outdoors with a little fertilizer.

It has been a few weeks, and its condition has stabilized. But its not growing new leaves or buds. Is this normal, or is there something wrong?

Attachments

• 20220614_121021_HDR.jpg
    20220614_121021_HDR.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220614_121032_HDR.jpg
    20220614_121032_HDR.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Azaleas do not like much sun. They like shade. Do you have a place outside where they have will more shade? Maybe a few hours of morning sun?

The buds form very early spring, bloom in spring, then just stays as a shrub until winter. Azaleas also don't like cold and cold wind in winter, so you may have to cover it with Styrofoam or burlap, or just lot of mulch around the base. Don't let it dry out, and throw some coffee grounds around it. They LOVE it as it makes the soil more acidic.. they are acid soil lovers..

I always had BAD luck with Azaleas. I experienced the same thing as you. I was always so sad. I took a chance again said im trying the azalea again. Spent probably to much money it but I couldn't resist. I planted it on the north side of the house. It gets some morning sun, and then dappled evening sun, I would say no more than 3 hours sun a day. Its doing just fine there. First time ever I kept an azalea alive longer than a few months.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Azaleas do not like much sun. They like shade. Do you have a place outside where they have will more shade? Maybe a few hours of morning sun?

The buds form very early spring, bloom in spring, then just stays as a shrub until winter. Azaleas also don't like cold and cold wind in winter, so you may have to cover it with Styrofoam or burlap, or just lot of mulch around the base. Don't let it dry out, and throw some coffee grounds around it. They LOVE it as it makes the soil more acidic.. they are acid soil lovers..

I always had BAD luck with Azaleas. I experienced the same thing as you. I was always so sad. I took a chance again said im trying the azalea again. Spent probably to much money it but I couldn't resist. I planted it on the north side of the house. It gets some morning sun, and then dappled evening sun, I would say no more than 3 hours sun a day. Its doing just fine there. First time ever I kept an azalea alive longer than a few months.
Its in a semi shady part of the garden. It receives sun in the afternoon, but shade in the evening and morning.

It was a gift, so I have no experience with this type of plant.

I'll definitely add acid to the soil, and but down some mulch too. Does it prefer moist or drier soil?

Ask a Question