A question about growing garlic

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have grown elephant garlic which is related to the leek or years and have had great success. Last fall I planted Spanish garlic for the first time. I started with large purple garlic bulbs that had large cloves. They grew well all winter and I harvested them this morning. Everyone of them had a single bulb without cloves. I am a little disappointed but I think I need to cure the bulbs and plant them again in the coming fall. Any advise on how to proceed will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The usual cause of this problem is insufficient vernalisation.
Without enough cold to break down some of the chemicals in garlic, they do not mature correctly.
Put you seed garlic in the refrigerator for four weeks prior to planting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Clearing out the garage the other day I found some of last year's garlic in a bucket with little green shoots sprouting. Any point in planting them this early?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
For planting I always use my garlic from the previous year with no problems. When in markets if I see attractive garlic I buy one or two bulbs for planting. This is to always have vigorous stock. I have planted supermarket garlic and it always grows well. I plant in October and it overwinters in the ground in zone 5. No problem in zone 5 with vernalization due to long cold snowy Winters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have heard tales of supermarket garlic treated to stop it sprouting on the shelf. Like you, Durgan, I had never had a problem, but since then I have bought 'Organic' bulbs, no harm done and only a bit dearer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I have encountered no evidence that garlic has a sprout inhibitor. Now potatoes have, since they don't grow. Not always but often.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That would account why I have never had the problem :)

Clearing out in the garage the other day I found some last year's garlic that has started to sprout, Any idea what would happen If I put that in the ground now?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Are you certain that your potatoes are sprayed?
Potatoes have natural dormancy, of different levels, could some of it be down to that?
I chip some years and sprayed potatoes do not grow sprouts. Sprouts being my measurement system.

Ask a Question