Privet hedge some plants not growing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I planted a privet hedge from bare root 1 month ago (late April)

Some have taken well, but others have not started budding / growing leaves yet. Please see attached.

A couple of weeks ago, I cut them back a little, however that has not made a difference. I am watering and adding plant feed as needed.

Do you have any advice please on what I should do? I'm thinking I could:

1) leave them longer - it's been about 1 month already

2) cut back further still

3) dig up and replant with more fertiliser / compost

4) Dig them all out, discard those not growing yet, and respace the ones that are growing well

Any help/advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 469B2447-93C8-4FF2-B85F-255FC3876293.jpeg
    469B2447-93C8-4FF2-B85F-255FC3876293.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What I'd do is scratch the bark on them to see if they are alive before I would do anything. If brown it is dead and not a thing you can do about that except replace. If not dead I would give them another couple of weeks to show signs of life.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Chuck. Have been checking that and the colour is green under the bark. Seems odd that the three plants not growing are all in a row, but could just be coincidence!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck. Have been checking that and the colour is green under the bark. Seems odd that the three plants not growing are all in a row, but could just be coincidence!
Probably clones grown from a cutting at the growers. Just give them more time. Some plants take longer to wake up than others.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Quite often, Ligustrum privet will appear to die completely, then in time lots of ne growth will appear from the roots. This also happens with Syringa lilac cuttings etc.

Ask a Question