Autumn 2013

Reaction score
Yes they should have cleaned that mess up. Very rude of them. Mushrooms are very slimy once they start decomposing. How is the weather there right now? Has it started feeling cooler yet?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It is cooler, had the fire on a few times, but not proper cold yet :)

Few shots today,

DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0010 (2).JPG
DSCF0012.JPG
DSCF0013.JPG

Thought that was a good name for an apple variety :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, this is such a hilarious name! On the other hand, sheep's nose doesn't sound like something tasty:p
I love the plant in the second picture, we used to grow it too, I remember playing with it when I was a child:)

Reaction score
Ta :)

It's really dark & overcast here today, went for a fungal forage in the woods but got beaten to it by a collecting group, they'd had most stuff away, did stumble across this though,

View attachment 1150

Looks like they were doing an id lecture, but then just left everything on the picnic bench:eek:

Hope they go back & clear it up, it'll be a slimey mess in a few days.

I'm not sure that this was people being inconsiderate or messy.

Looks to me like, there was something very suspicious going on here, and they nearly got caught in the act, and, there wasn't enough time, to clear away ALL of the evidence, as they had to leave in a hurry. :D

Reaction score
It's apple season! Sometimes the ugliest ones do taste the best. I must say, those do have the appearance of a sheep's nose. :)

What are those orange things in the second photo? They sort of look like habanero peppers. I am assuming they must be some sort of seed pod. Whatever they are, I like them

gata montes - That is a good point. Maybe you're right and the people did make a quick dash and that's why the mushrooms were left strewn about. Strange.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Cheerio, unfortunately I don't know its English name. In Polish, it's Michunka. And yes, there are seeds inside of these orange 'flowers'. Here is a close up:

15123_ogrodek-zdjecia_1_jpg_miechunka-1-1024x683.jpg

And here is a withered one:

wroclaw-ogrod-botaniczny-miechunka-rozdeta.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They're called Physalis, Chinese Lanterns or Cape Gooseberries in England, related to tomatoes. There is one ornamental one that is poisonous, but there are edible ones too.

Bit Misty this morning so I went up the hill,

DSCF0016.JPG
DSCF0018.JPG
DSCF0019.JPG
DSCF0020.JPG
DSCF0021.JPG

Reaction score
How do you make blackberry and elderberry wine? All those beautiful pictures, and I am asking how the wine was made.

Reaction score
Zigs - just love those photos, particularly the first one, with the early morning sun light shining through the tree.

Much as those apples look very nice, I don't think I could possibly even consider eating an apple called the 'sheeps nose', how ever much someone offered to pay me, cos my mind would be full of nasty thoughts - like what sort of thing might there be living in a sheeps nostrils.

Like Cheerio, I too, had been trying to think of what those orange things were called, knew they rattled, but for the life of me couldn't think of the name, so thanks for reminding me. Chinese Lanterns - shall sleep much better tonight, knowing that won't be rattling around in my brain anymore :D

Claudine - Thats a lovely name 'Michunka' , absolutely love it, and from now on, this what I'm going to call
Chinese Lanterns :)

Reaction score
Yes, I have heard of Chinese Lanterns and Cape Gooseberries. Beautiful autumn color. They look like little pumpkins. :)

Those photos of the misty countryside through the trees are beautiful. You live in a completely lovely part of the country there, Zigs. It must be such pleasure to stroll around in that setting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Chinese Lanterns is such a pretty name:) I had no idea that they're related to tomatoes! This is a nice surprise.
Zigs, the pictures are breathtaking, I love them all. There is nothing more beautiful than delicate mist. Lately, I developed a habit of running to my garden in the morning to see mist:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It is lovely here first thing, with the chickens and the owls going off.:)

Reaction score
Sigh! I am out of time for the day and want so much to take time to look through this lovely thread!

Sheep's Nose...I believe, is what we call "Red Delicious" in the US.

Those lantern looking plants...."tomatillos" here, or ground cherries. A friend posted on facebook that she'd made ground cherry pie and it started a series of questions and research. It's evidently in the nightshade family. (wild stuff growing here is poisonous) Did I post this elsewhere on this forum? I know I shared it somewhere! Those pics, claudine, are just lovely!

Been cooking down pumpkin here. Made muffins and put some in the freezer for pies soon. Also roasted the seeds. YUMMY stuff!

Zigs,where did you learn so much about gathering?!! I'm very much impressed with how much you make use of the things around you! Always wanted to learn under someone like you. (Don't have the patience to do the research via reading. :( )

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Zigs,where did you learn so much about gathering?!! I'm very much impressed with how much you make use of the things around you! Always wanted to learn under someone like you. (Don't have the patience to do the research via reading. :( )

Been studying and picking most of my life, very important to know whats what though, you wouldn't want to pick some Hemlock Water Dropwort thinking it was Cow Parsley, or Devil's Turnips berries thinking they were Redcurrants.

I'll see if I can find one of those to take a pic of :)

There's loads of food out there, just knowing what time of year and where to look helps.

Ask a Question