Ground Cover & Autumn Leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm thinking about planting ground cover under trees in my yard where the ground is bare. But this is an area where I blow leaves in the autumn and crunch them with the lawnmower. So the ground cover needs to be very hardy and tolerant of abuse. I don't want ivy, but I'd consider something that doesn't get too tall -- no taller than a mowed lawn. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I guess they don't have to be "lawn level" -- they just need to easily recover after I mow the leaves over the top of them and then rake the leaves into a pile to decompose during the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I like the creeping thyme suggestion, but from what I've read, it needs 4 hours of sun to bloom. It'll be in shade most of the day in one location. May work okay in another section of the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The best thing I have found is to limb up the trees to the point that morning or afternoon sun can get in there to grow grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Vinca minor maybe? It's happy in the shade, but I'm not sure how well it would cope with being mowed. It's very pretty though :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
agree with Becky - vinca is very tough and get the purple /violet. It's very pretty. Not the blue ones. They will tolerate the shade. Vinca purpureus fits the bill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. I'm thinking about Creeping Thyme around a raised bed with a birdbath. Perhaps Creeping Jenny and Hostas inside the raised bed where I can keep Creeping Jenny contained. I may let the Thyme spill from an overturned pottery at the edge of the raised bed. Maybe two overturned vessels, one on each corner, with two different colors of thyme. This bed will be underneath a medium size Live Oak opposite a stone patio where I take my afternoon coffee break. Too much? What do you think?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Candytuft the low growing ones, aurbretia or cover the plants with shringles to prevent evaporation or grow house leek. I will go to Hyde Hall and see what I can find. Hopefully soon.

Ask a Question