Are you a garden scavenger?

Reaction score
Aww. I've seen some plants on clearance at the Walmart that looked really neglected and I wished I could save them all. If only they would actually take care of the plants, they would last longer. Plants are not just merchandise, they are alive and the workers in the garden center should take care of them , the way they take care of the live fish in the pet section.

I agree they should do more than just water them to death. I have seen so many plants at Walmart and Lowes that are just in horrible shape. I guess I should not complain too much.... that is how I get cheap plants! It is horrible for the plants though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've seen some plants at other garden centers that looked seriously neglected. I don't think the staff are trained in plant care; they are just there to sell and restock and there is maybe one or two people at a given location that can actually judge how much to water, etc. There is a small nursery that I have been buying from that I like, but those clearance deals at the large garden centers are hard to pass up.

Reaction score
Sometime, in another life I was a scavenger. Or as I like to call it a creative recycler and re appropriator. Its just something I like to do and people do leave some amazing things out by the curb. My parents used to live in a fairly affluent neighborhood and it was amazing how much useful stuff that I found. I refinish furniture and have come up with some beautiful stuff that only needed some lovin'!

Reaction score
Right after Christmas I was driving to my mom's and found three poinsettias set out at the curb. Who does that?

People who feel no appreciation for poinsettias? Just kidding! I often wonder why people do or say certain things! But when I see odd things like that I often wonder the reasons, and I then I start thinking of theories. Maybe the person who threw those away had a dog or a cat, and maybe the cat or dog ate some ponsettia and got poisoned? The person decided to throw them away then... I could definitely see that happening, since those flowers are poisonous for the dogs and cats too, I think (not 100% sure about the cats tho).

As for finding things for my garden in the trash or any other place for free... not yet :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Sometime, in another life I was a scavenger. Or as I like to call it a creative recycler and re appropriator. Its just something I like to do and people do leave some amazing things out by the curb. My parents used to live in a fairly affluent neighborhood and it was amazing how much useful stuff that I found. I refinish furniture and have come up with some beautiful stuff that only needed some lovin'!

LOL, this is why it's a good idea that I a) do not have a truck, and b) do not have a garage or workshop/extra storage space. I would love to refinish furniture I reclaimed off the street or turn it into art or reinvent it as something practical.

People who feel no appreciation for poinsettias? Just kidding! I often wonder why people do or say certain things! But when I see odd things like that I often wonder the reasons, and I then I start thinking of theories. Maybe the person who threw those away had a dog or a cat, and maybe the cat or dog ate some ponsettia and got poisoned? The person decided to throw them away then... I could definitely see that happening, since those flowers are poisonous for the dogs and cats too, I think (not 100% sure about the cats tho).

As for finding things for my garden in the trash or any other place for free... not yet :(

You have quite the imagination, lol. I know what plants look like that have been attacked by pets, lol, and these were perfectly full and healthy. I just think these people didn't care about the plants anymore so they set them out. Unfortunately I recently lost them to pests and harsh winter :-(

Reaction score
You have quite the imagination, lol. I know what plants look like that have been attacked by pets, lol, and these were perfectly full and healthy. I just think these people didn't care about the plants anymore so they set them out. Unfortunately I recently lost them to pests and harsh winter :-(

Lol, yeah, I know ;) Uhm, then this mystery is harder to solve than I thought. But that kind of things really make me wonder, you know? Why buy one of those plants and then throw it away? A well, at least you found it and took good care of it :)

Ask a Question