Are my strawberries ready to transplant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Honduras
This is my first garden, and although I'm proud to have gotten them this far, I want to make sure I can get them all the way to actual fruit production... I sprouted strawberry seeds from berries I bought at the store by placing them in a wet paper towel closed in a plastic bag. Once they had some roots and leaves going, I carefully planted them in this container which has good drainage.

But now I'm not quite sure what to do. Are they big and healthy enough to put into their permanent homes? I'll be planting them individually in an assortment of recycled containers, including some pop/soda/Coke bottles and such. I feel like the bigger ones could move ok, but I'm worried about disrupting the smaller plants. Should I just go ahead and transplant them all or just try to move the biggest ones and let the smaller ones grow in this container a bit more before I move them?

Thanks!
IMG_3175.JPG
IMG_3177.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I envy that strawberry of yours. Over here, strawberry is a novelty plant not really because of the berry itself but for tropical countries, it is a wonder if you can grow strawberries. I'd say that planting strawberry is fun although it looks fragile to me. My brother-in-law had bought planters from Baguio City, that place in the mountains, the only place where strawberry naturally grows. The planter grew up and bore some fruits but not sweet and eventually it died when the rains came.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, you did well with your strawberry plants! Personally, I would wait a little longer to transplant. I have only bought strawberry plant from the store when they already had tiny fruits but I still wait a while before transplanting them so they would have a chance to survive.

Your big ones look safe enough to transplant to me, but it is all up to you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Honduras
Wow, you did well with your strawberry plants! Personally, I would wait a little longer to transplant. I have only bought strawberry plant from the store when they already had tiny fruits but I still wait a while before transplanting them so they would have a chance to survive.

Your big ones look safe enough to transplant to me, but it is all up to you!

Great! Thank you! I will probably let them stay there for a while longer. They seem to be doing pretty well, so I don't want to ruin that by transplanting them too soon. Part of my concern is spacing, but now that I think about it, my mom's strawberry patch was pretty crowded and it always did well... Until we emptied the melted snow from the top of the pool onto it in early spring... But that's another story. Point is, I feel like they can grow pretty close to each other and still be ok, so I will leave them for a little while longer to make sure they're a little more established before moving them. Thanks again for your help!

Ask a Question