I may have Poisoned my Strawberries!! Organic gardner in need of help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I am a new organic gardener and I have started a strawberry patch in a raised bed. I did everything I needed to do to get them going but I made one fatal mistake. I feed them plant food intended for indoor plants in a vase. I am sure it is a toxic plant food not edible.

Have I totally messed up the strawberries? Do I need to throw them away and start over?

Is my plant dirt okay? Do I need to re-dirt my bed?

Thanks in advance and I will be here to answer more questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just act like you’re starting over. Feed the soil mycorrhiza, molasses, and several organic amendments like bone meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, etc... Add compost and manure at the same time, as a side dressing and beyond. I’ve revived and burned out soils a few times. Short of nuclear waste you can revive anything.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just act like you’re starting over. Feed the soil mycorrhiza, molasses, and several organic amendments like bone meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, etc... Add compost and manure at the same time, as a side dressing and beyond. I’ve revived and burned out soils a few times. Short of nuclear waste you can revive anything.

Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you just fed them chemical food once or maybe even a few times, it’s usually not a big deal in my experience. If on the other hand you feed them something like 5-50-35 once a week for a few months, you may fry your microbes for a year or two and cause runoff. I experiment with low dose hybrid fertilizers although I recommend organic for most purposes.

Ask a Question