Anyone Started Decorating For Christmas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I haven't started decorating my house for Christmas yet. Yuck. Sorry for sounding grupmpy, but I really hate Christmas and I avoid anything that reminds me of it:eek:. I can't stand plastic Santas, shiny stars, and reindeers. I cover my ears when I hear Christmas carols. The only thing I like about the holiday are presents. Presents are always welcome:D

Reaction score
I agree with most. It would be nice if the cooler weather and people being in a better mood signalled the holidays. I hate to see the stores treat it as just a marketing opportunity.

Reaction score
Trellum

I'm not quite understanding why you are so puzzled - here, where I live in the Mediterranean, the main celebration is The Three Kings on the 6th January, which is always celebrated with an enormous amount of enthusiasm and expense, for both, the week prior to it and on the day of The Three Kings, but actual Christmas is so low key, that you wouldn't know it was happening, apart from, as already mentioned, the few nativity scenes in village squares and the church bells ringing at midnight on Christmas Eve - in the hope that someone may attend The Christmas Mass :D Here Christmas really is, only for the children, which is possibly why,they keep with the tradition of The Three Kings.

Looks like a beautiful celebratory time. As always, thanks for the beautiful pictures. That is amazing chocolate art work.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to put the tree up around the 15th and start putting up a few things here and there the closer we get to Christmas day. We did put some outdoor decorations up last year which we will probably get up right after Thanksgiving day. I also think it has become to commercialized, the true meaning of the day seems to have been forgotten.

Reaction score
The neighbors directly behind us are a mimic of the Griswalds if anyone is familiar with that movie. Litterly, light show and all!! And the two houses directly to the left of us are almost fully decorated as well. I get the excitement of the season, but I agree, too soon! Although for how unusually warm it was yesterday here in Ohio, it would have been a great day to get the outside decorations up!!

Reaction score
I like Christmas and I love the decorations, but I think they are starting to forget that there is a holiday before Christmas. I think they have forgotten the importance of Thanksgiving. I remember when I would see decorations for thanksgiving after Halloween and I buy the ones I like, but now Christmas has overshadowed Thanksgiving and it's list in the shuffle of Christmas deals.

Reaction score
I've been working on a few things at a church where I volunteer but nothing for myself personally. I do hang some of my red, white and blue Christmas lights to celebrate Veteran's Day and then start putting the rest up in the last week in November.

Reaction score
I am starting to see more and more christmas lights being put up around my neighborhood. I am trying to figure out why people see the need to start decorating so early. I remember when I would see thanksgiving decorations on houses before christmas. Now I don't see any of those anymore. Have people forgotten about this holiday altogether?

Reaction score
I didn't do much Christmas decorating this year. It is too late now, because today is now Christmas!

I did put some mini, little Christmas trees up, but that is all. They look very cute. Maybe I'll do more Christmas decorating next year, but for now, the little Christmas trees capture the holiday spirit.

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of moving, so I haven't really put up any proper Christmas decorations. The artificial tree is assembled at my new apartment but there are no ornaments on it yet.
I'm not even sure which moving box the ornaments are in, but at least my daughter liked the gifts that I bought her and she seems to be enjoying the day.
Right now I'm still nervous about the financial strain and disruption of moving during Christmas, but I think once I actually get settled in the new place, I'll start to feel better about it.
Moving was a major goal of mine, but it hasn't really sunk in yet and it feels kind of surreal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of moving, so I haven't really put up any proper Christmas decorations. The artificial tree is assembled at my new apartment but there are no ornaments on it yet.
I'm not even sure which moving box the ornaments are in, but at least my daughter liked the gifts that I bought her and she seems to be enjoying the day.
Right now I'm still nervous about the financial strain and disruption of moving during Christmas, but I think once I actually get settled in the new place, I'll start to feel better about it.
Moving was a major goal of mine, but it hasn't really sunk in yet and it feels kind of surreal.

I hope the move went well! Hope you are settling into your new place :)

Reaction score
I hope the move went well! Hope you are settling into your new place :)

Thank you, Becky. I'm starting to feel better about the new place. I was pretty nervous about the disruption and expense of moving but now I'm starting to bond with the new place and I'm getting used to calling it home. I hope you're doing well. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, Becky. I'm starting to feel better about the new place. I was pretty nervous about the disruption and expense of moving but now I'm starting to bond with the new place and I'm getting used to calling it home. I hope you're doing well. :)

That's great news! Sounds like 2014 is off to a good start, long may it continue :D

Ask a Question