Has Anyone Started Cleaning For New Year's Day?

Reaction score
A lot of TV ads are showing 20 gallon plastic totes and cleaning supplies because many people clean and organize for the new year. I'm in the middle of moving so I'm trying to organize as I go and drop things off at the charity shop/Goodwill instead of taking them to my new place.

Has anyone started cleaning up for the new year or are you just watching those Home Depot commercials with the plastic shelving and 20 gallon containers thinking "Yeah, right."

It seems like the spring cleaning ads are airing earlier every year. My local Walmart cleared out the Christmas stuff in record time and they're already selling the organizers and containers and storage sheds.

Reaction score
Nah, not yet. I don't think I will anytime soon to be honest. I'm having a hard time packing my things already, I'm sure that will keep me busy for a while ;) I'm just glad holidays are over. But no cleaning of the house yet, I should probably get rid of a couple of things in my room tho. I'll end up doing it sooner or later.

By the way, congrats on finally moving from that apartmment :)(y)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just doing a general clear up after the Daughts have gone home, forgot how much mess 2 girls can make :D

Don't have a TV so i'm not influenced by adverts :)

I'm with Trellum there, good news :)(y)

Reaction score
Nah, not yet. I don't think I will anytime soon to be honest. I'm having a hard time packing my things already, I'm sure that will keep me busy for a while ;) I'm just glad holidays are over. But no cleaning of the house yet, I should probably get rid of a couple of things in my room tho. I'll end up doing it sooner or later.

By the way, congrats on finally moving from that apartmment :)(y)

Thank you. I promised my daughter an apartment for Christmas and I signed a lease on December 17, so I barely made it. I'm also kind of glad that the holidays are over because Christmas shopping in the middle of a move was total chaos and an Amazon box got stolen from my old address.

Reaction score
Wow! I'm glad you are one of those moms who keep their promises :) Believe me, your kid will remember that for the rest of her life (y) They have an amazing memory, I swear! Sorry to hear about your box being stolen :( I heard there are people who do that during the holidays; they wait for the UPS guy to leave the package at your place and then they just grab it.

Reaction score
Wow! I'm glad you are one of those moms who keep their promises :) Believe me, your kid will remember that for the rest of her life (y) They have an amazing memory, I swear! Sorry to hear about your box being stolen :( I heard there are people who do that during the holidays; they wait for the UPS guy to leave the package at your place and then they just grab it.

True. I saw a news report where a guy caught a woman on security camera going up to his doorstep and stealing his Amazon package. The lady looked around to make sure UPS was gone and then just ran for the package. Amazon is such a well known site that thieves recognize their packages.

I ended up having to order all my daughter's gifts again and they showed up at 8PM on Christmas Eve.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not good, but good that you got them again in time for Christmas. Can you get a refund as you didn't sign for the parcel? You can claim it back if it was paid for by credit card I think.

Reaction score
Nope, I haven't started cleaning anything out yet. I probably won't be cleaning out the house, as I do it every 3 months. I like to stay organized and don't bother cleaning at a particular time like the New Year. I also regularly drop my belongings to a local charity, but only things that are useful, but no longer needed by me.
True. I saw a news report where a guy caught a woman on security camera going up to his doorstep and stealing his Amazon package. The lady looked around to make sure UPS was gone and then just ran for the package. Amazon is such a well known site that thieves recognize their packages.

I ended up having to order all my daughter's gifts again and they showed up at 8PM on Christmas Eve.
That is horrible! Something like that happened to me last year, so I can sympathize. I just called the company back and since it was UPS, they usually have you sign it to confirm that you picked it up. I just called them and since they didn't have my signature, I was able to get the package finally delivered. It wasn't anything special, fortunately. Luckily you did get the package by Christmas!

Reaction score

Ouch :( Sorry to hear that, but hey... at least they arrived :) !! I heard of a poor women whose tablet (she saved a lot in order to buy it) was left inside a trash can by an UPS guy!!! Seriously (n) I've heard those UPS guys make the most awful mistakes. Actually leaving a package in front your door isn't the best idea, lol. Those people are lacking sommon sense or what? I heard some hide the packages too well and don't leave a notice. A guy checked his BBQ grill (he rarely uses) to find a book he ordered last year. True story!

Reaction score
I was going to start cleaning, but then I came here. :p I was wanting to look up how to make those newspaper origami planters and share a recipe I found. I will probably get to work soon, though. On new years day I am going to my grandma's house to eat greens, black eye peas, and hog jowl. Well, I am not touching the jowl, I'll pick it out of my peas. Hopefully, it will still bring me luck in the new year.

Reaction score
I'm trying to get organized for spring, but some of my stuff is still in moving boxes and I'm still dealing with a lot of moving related stress and setbacks. I winder how long it'll take before I finally get established and on a solid footing.

It's funny to see that Walmart has rolled out all the plastic bins and organization supplies. I'm not mentally ready to tackle any organizing projects yet.

Ask a Question