Ant mounds in lawn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Boil water, dissolve boric acid roach powder, add sugar or honey to make a poisonous nectar. Its a slow kill and the workers will take it and feed everybody with it.

Bifenthrin is one of the longest lasting insecticides in the soil.

Be careful though, if you kill all these ants without contemplating upon what they have been eating. If they are there living on grubs for example, you might well have massive grub damage as a result of firing the guardians of your grass. Better to just hit the occasional mound than blanket the whole yard. Plus who likes going barefoot in a poisened lawn?

Last edited:

Ged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boil water, dissolve boric acid roach powder, add sugar or honey to make a poisonous nectar. Its a slow kill and the workers will take it and feed everybody with it.

Bifenthrin is one of the longest lasting insecticides in the soil.

Be careful though, if you kill all these ants without contemplating upon what they have been eating. If they are there living on grubs for example, you might well have massive grub damage as a result of firing the guardians of your grass. Better to just hit the occasional mound than blanket the whole yard. Plus who likes going barefoot in a poisened lawn?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Put a large clay flowerpot upside down over the mound, wait till the sun warms it and they will relocate the entire colony into it, queen and all. Then slice a spade under it and move the whole nest onto next door's lawn when they're not looking :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Put a large clay flowerpot upside down over the mound, wait till the sun warms it and they will relocate the entire colony into it, queen and all. Then slice a spade under it and move the whole nest onto next door's lawn when they're not looking :)
How you have evaded justice this many years has to be related to a high IQ.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Your garden will thrive if you refrain from using poison altogether @Ged .

Here's just a few of the characteristics of Bifenthrin:

"A person could be exposed to bifenthrin if touched, ingested, or inhaled. (such as walking across a treated lawn, my add)

When the chemical gets on the skin, bifenthrin can cause tingling, itching, burning, or numbness on the affected area. When inhaled, it can irritate the nose, throat, and lungs. It can cause sore throat, nausea, abdominal pain, and vomiting almost immediately. Bifenthrin is also classified as a possible human carcinogen by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. ...Other symptoms of poisoning include irritation of the skin and eyes, irritability to sound or touch, abnormal facial sensation, sensation of prickling, tingling, or creeping on skin, numbness, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive salivation, and fatigue. In severe cases of bifenthrin poisoning, it may cause fluid in the lungs and muscle twitching.

For its environmental side effects, the chemical can bind to soil and can potentially contaminate surface waters through runoff. It is extremely toxic to the aquatic environment and bees.
"

That is not something I want on any lawns or anything near my property.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How you have evaded justice this many years has to be related to a high IQ.

Despite "them" not knowing where I had gone for 3 years, I was still a paid member of The Brexit Advisory Panel during my absence from society :stig:

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
Can anyone advise me how to irradicate red ant soil mounds in my lawn without damaging the grass !
Ged
I don’t use a lot of pesticides...but I don’t do ants or wasp. Some may judge me on this but...
Martins Ant killer is the most affective stuff I have ever used. *If you never use gloves or mask around anything...this is the stuff you should! You can smell an unopened container from 10feet away!
Use on a Warm Day, no wind! It doesn’t take much. A light dusting on/around the hole.
1683646675592.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read about mixing powered sugar and baking soda (1:1, I think) together and sprinkling it over the mound. I tried it a few years back and damned if it didn't work. It took just about four to five days to get rid of them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You people poison your ground to save the grass. The best way to get rid of ants is to disrupt their environment. Why are they building a nest in the yard? Because the conditions are nice there and they can make a home easy. To run them off without killing every microbe you have in the soil, all one has to do is change their environment. How? Take a pitchfork and stick it into the nest and loosen the ground. Then take a water hose and add water to the ant's nest. Be careful and do it very fast before they ants and get on you and leave the area. In a few days do it again keeping the soil wet. Maybe at most, they will be gone in 2 weeks completely. Please don't put poison on your yards because it hurts much more than just the ants. Water is the best pesticide in the world if you know how to use it.

Ask a Question