Another Tree Cut Down...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Like to report you to the RSPCA! How could you give them such terrible tools??? :eek::eek: Not a nice way to start kids on landscaping. I could never manage with that kind of saw!
They all grown up now and still got there Hands and Kids Too;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They all grown up now and still got there Hands and Kids Too;)

Are they still talking to you. That yellow saw should be used between 2 people? Nice when kids listen to you and not looking at their phones! Those were the days!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
If I get my big saw out like this one you need 2 people alp ;)
Crosscut_Saw_long_002.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Like to report you to the RSPCA! How could you give them such terrible tools??? :eek::eek: Not a nice way to start kids on landscaping. I could never manage with that kind of saw!

:D:D:ROFLMAO:......I hope you meant the NSPCC (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Another good reason to chop this tree down is because of its root system, which primarily grows horizontally, as opposed to vertically; they can spread out as much as four times the diameter of the canopy. This has always made it tough to dig in that area of my yard, so I'm hoping that as the roots decompose that this area, it will be much easier to dig thru for planting.

I was also a little concerned about the foundation of my house, because the tree was only about 8-feet (2.4 meters) from my house, but I've not seen any damage, despite seeing numerous roots headed in that direction.

However, I am curious....

The logs now are very heavy with moisture and will lose that moisture to the air, but what about the entire root system? Will the system seep the moisture out into the soil or will it act like a huge hugelkultur system?

That would mean that the roots of other plants will now start to infiltrate the Magnolia root system...I'm guessing?

That's just really interesting stuff to ponder...o_O:geek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since chopping down the tree I've been filling in the area with other plants that grow throughout the yard, especially the pokeweed, which attracts a lot of birds. Yesterday I bought an American Beautyberry plant to plant next to other plants that need more shade (with the Magnolia now gone) as well as being a super attractive to many species of birds. https://garden.org/ideas/view/wildflowers/147/All-About-American-Beautyberry/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
About 4 summers ago we had 8, 180 feet trees taken down. had a company with 125 foot tall bucket trucks and many men always on walki talkies. they totally lifted out two big trees from my main garden with out so much as touching any priced shrubs near them. they lifted trees over the house. it was a sight to watch. and noisy like crazy. they had a big chipper machine going. took one day.

Ask a Question