Is this powdery mildew or another type of fungal disease?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been misting my gardenias since I got them last August and I only just learned that this can cause fungal diseases so I've put them in saucers with pebbles now, the leaves seem to be dusty or something but I washed them with a damp cloth and it didn't go away

Attachments

• 20180415_104811.jpg
    20180415_104811.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 324
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been misting my gardenias since I got them last August and I only just learned that this can cause fungal diseases so I've put them in saucers with pebbles now, the leaves seem to be dusty or something but I washed them with a damp cloth and it didn't go away
From the pictures I can see no sign of fungus but the pics have a "glare" to them that prohibits a good image. From what I can see it is just water spots from your misting. One thing I do see a little bit off is the closeness of the plants which may prohibit circulation. A small oscillating fan would be a good thing to put close to your plants. Please send more pictures taken from a different angle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok thanks I will space them out but I don't have much space what is sort of the minimum closeness that they can be for adequate circulation?

I tried at a different angle but you can't see the dusty effect that I'm seeing, hopefully it's just water spots here's another pic anyway

Attachments

• 20180415_112102.jpg
    20180415_112102.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 824
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok thanks I will space them out but I don't have much space what is sort of the minimum closeness that they can be for adequate circulation?

I tried at a different angle but you can't see the dusty effect that I'm seeing, hopefully it's just water spots here's another pic anyway
Sorry, but that looks like the beginning of powdery mildew. Spray with neem oil and GIVE THEM MORE AIR CIRCULATION. If you don't have room to separate them please get a fan because mildew is caused by humidity and poor air circulation. Misting just adds to the problem. When you water, water from the bottom up until such time as proper air circulation is achieved.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, but that looks like the beginning of powdery mildew. Spray with neem oil and GIVE THEM MORE AIR CIRCULATION. If you don't have room to separate them please get a fan because mildew is caused by humidity and poor air circulation. Misting just adds to the problem. When you water, water from the bottom up until such time as proper air circulation is achieved.

Ok will do, I have some neem oil I got a couple of months ago when my scented geraniums got infested but I couldn't get it to spray it was very thick and wouldn't mix in with water it clogged up my mister, I've heard some people add it to soil and the plant absorbs it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok will do, I have some neem oil I got a couple of months ago when my scented geraniums got infested but I couldn't get it to spray it was very thick and wouldn't mix in with water it clogged up my mister, I've heard some people add it to soil and the plant absorbs it
Yes, it can be added to soil but that is for something completely different. You can also us straight 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, it can be added to soil but that is for something completely different. You can also us straight 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Just seeeing your reply now I already misted them with a baking soda mix if it doesn't work I'll try the hydrogen peroxide

I moved most of my streptocarpus to a different area which left alot of room so I put all my gardenias into individual saucers and spaced them out are they ok now it's a west facing windowsill in the kitchen

Attachments

• 20180415_151724.jpg
    20180415_151724.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 245

Ask a Question