Lack of magnesium or powdery mildew?

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago I planted some herbs and vegetables in pots and I've recently noticed my cucumber and cherry tomato leaves wilting and changing colour.

Can someone identify from the pictures if they have lack of magnesium or else if it is powdery mildew?

And if it is lack of magnesium, is there something temporary that can be found easily inside the home that gives magnesium since I can't find Epsom salt in shops - will have to go to a supermarket, hopefully they'll have it.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• cuc1.jpg
    cuc1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 226
  • cuc2.jpg
    cuc2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 231
  • tom1.jpg
    tom1.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 259
  • tom2.jpg
    tom2.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 243
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @thealley .

By looking at your photos, I think the compost looks quite dark, so could it be too wet maybe. Definitely doesn't look like powdery mildew to me .

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Hi Upsy Daisy,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the multi-purpose compost is quite dark, but even when taken dry out of the packet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah OK then.(y)
I'm not very good at diagnosing these plant ailments:D:ROFLMAO:

Could it be scorch burns from excessive exposure to the sun.....I'm sure someone more helpful will look in soon to provide you with the real answer .:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You're watering too often. So often that you are leeching out the nutrients. That's why your tomatoes are yellowing. However often you are watering cut it in half and see if things don't improve. When they do cut the watering in half again. It is definitely not powdery mildew.. Also it is time to remove one of the tomatoes. They cannot produce properly that close together in a container.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Hi Chuck, many thanks for the suggestions, I water them in the morning and in the afternoon. I'll try out cutting the afternoon watering and see what happens. Someone else suggested that it could be bad hardening. I take them out during the day and bring them in for the night. This could be bad, but I don't have other options since I'm at work during the day. Cheers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck, many thanks for the suggestions, I water them in the morning and in the afternoon. I'll try out cutting the afternoon watering and see what happens. Someone else suggested that it could be bad hardening. I take them out during the day and bring them in for the night. This could be bad, but I don't have other options since I'm at work during the day. Cheers!
Watering twice a day is WAAAAAY to often. In a container maybe every 4 days you'd water. When you water completely saturate the soil and when it is DRY about 2 or 3 inches deep, saturate them again

Ask a Question