An untruth to spread fear and confusion...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, those who reckon they're highest up in the pecking order (I won't mention my name for them) reckon they are smart enough ''super humans''

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As a gardener, one can deny, argue, ignore or whatever the indicators of changing climate but one thing for absolutely certain your veggies will

It has snowed here on April 15 during my gardening lifetime and for years I've been perhaps overly cautious about planting out too soon...but I have no hesitation this year. Maybe I'll get burned but if I don't get the warm weather crops started, they will likely burn up in July and August.
Tto be clear, I'm not denying the climate is changing. It is. Always has and always will.

I'm thinking that it's a lot of hubris to think mankind has a major effect, especially considering the above mentioned solar activity.

Do the "experts " really think we can control the sun?

And, since it is changing, why not try to make the best use of those changes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been and remain a skeptic on these climate change groups with an agenda...however, the last three years here have seen progressively higher and higher temps. Last August was so hot very few things would survive in the garden.

This spring is way early consistent with recent trends.

Yesterday another record high "Houston fell just short of 90 degrees on Tuesday, with a high temperature topping out at 89 degrees at Bush Intercontinental Airport. This smashed the previous record high for March 5, 84 degrees, which was reached in 1907, 1991, and 1998. The normal high for this time of year is 72 degrees.
I do believe it's happening and we are a factor. You simply cannot release the amount of GHGs into the atmosphere and it to only have a positive effect on plant life. Nature is not that simple. So in that sense I do not agree that the warming is all from nature.

However, on the flip side of the coin, I'm sick of hearing from the alarmists that the world is coming to an end and everything is to be blamed on our GHG emissions. Furthermore, we can do so much to mitigate the effects by things that improve nature and biodiversity, that's why I'm such an advocate of Regenerative Ag/Ranching, but other environmental initiatives as well.

I am very curious how we deal with this issue, because the proposed plan of going 100% electric grid is NOT doable. At some point we will have to ramp up our environmental fixes to address the problem, especially the problem of drinkable water. The world is draining all the aquifers, we desperately need to reverse that trend. That is one of the problems we need to stop blaming our emissions and look at how we manage our lands.

There is just no way we will mine all the materials needed to go 100% electric grid, including all EVs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Agreed that mankind is a contributor, but to what extent? Local examples exist, heat islands for example. But to make blanket statements that mankind is THE cause is, well, manure.

Especially considering that sun likely burns more energy in a day than mankind has used in it's entire history.

I'm down with reuse, reduce recycle, there's no reason not to be a good steward of the planet. That said, energy makes the world go round, in many senses.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone told me that we already have enough plastic in the world that if we recycled it efficiently we never need make any more, seems reasonable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Quite possible. But how?

I think part of the problem is government regulations on the current processes and possible uses. Effectively making the process more expensive and limiting it's market.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is an oddly comforting thread, because it's good to see the lack of extremes somewhere in this crazy world. Of course climate is changing, and of course humans are making mistakes, but it isn't the end of the world (shocking!) and we just have to accept adjustments, and even sacrifices to take responsibility for what we REASONABLY can. So thank you!

Ask a Question