An experiment in Hugelkulture in containers

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I heard the starfish come when the soil is too rich?
I created 9 raised beds last year. I thought I was smart and whilst I filled most with sticks etc I had the presence of mind to create a couple of beds with fine compost suited to carrots, parsnips etc. I made them lovely and rich with lots of manure.....and yes.....you are right - star fish, three legs, you name it! Most of my wonky carrots ended up being given to the horses that pooped out the manure!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I heard the starfish come when the soil is too rich?
I thought the forking happened when the tap root hit a stone or stick.

Around here I have a thin layer of black soil over sand. It's only from mixing in leafs and sticks to compost in place that I can build up organic matter in the ground. Which is why I use this wood core technique best known for use in hugelkulture construction.

But yeah, I can lift a 8" straight carrot from the ground by the tops without using a tool or breaking the tops or root. Sand is good for one thing...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I thought the forking happened when the tap root hit a stone or stick.

Around here I have a thin layer of black soil over sand. It's only from mixing in leafs and sticks to compost in place that I can build up organic matter in the ground. Which is why I use this wood core technique best known for use in hugelkulture construction.

But yeah, I can lift a 8" straight carrot from the ground by the tops without using a tool or breaking the tops or root. Sand is good for one thing...
I gathered the idea that the forking comes from the plant following near sources of nutrient rather than growing deep in search of nutrient that has not yet leached away from surface applications. Generally my clay is too dense for carrot although this spring I had the best shape so far after adding char and a bunch of leaves from the fall that normally would have been in my compost pile. No fertilizer at all this year was a theme. It was a test year since the herbicide in the cow compost caused trouble 3 years ago. They were perfectly formed but not large. I recall being amused that they grew well in the remediated soil but disappointed that I had bought a smaller variety seed. My expectations were not high for carrots so it was still a good experience.

Ad

Advertisements

Meadowlark

Gardner, Angler, Adjunct Professor, and Rancher
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Some pictures of the hk plants w/emphasis on the lettuce varieties which are going great and in general surpassing the in-ground plants.

Buttercrunch/Sylestra
buttercrunch sylestra hk.JPG

Green Ice and carrots:

green ice hk.JPG

Little gem & romaine

little gem romain hk.JPG

Cabbage:

cabbage hk.JPG

Broccoli:

broc.JPG

Bok Choy:

bok choy.JPG