I put together a new raised bed in 2020 Hugelkulture style. Didn't plant in it until 2021 and it was a dismal failure except for a genovese basil plant which trived. This year, same crops (garlic and onions, no basil) and so far it seems to be doing a lot better, but not great. I'm not certain what it is but it could be that the soil I filled it with wasn't so good. It was a mix of about 80% kellogg raised bed soil + about 20% Kellogg garden soil. They stopped carrying kellogg at my home depot starting 2021 and at the end of the growing year 2020 they had it on clearance for $2 a bag! So that's what I filled it with. I filled the bottom with the limbs (so I say about 1/4 of the bed is limbs and the bed is 18" deep). I guess it could also be that some of the wood was not decayed enough, but it was old fallen and trimmed limbs that were sitting around for 3+ years on my property and looked well decayed. Hopefully it progressively gets better as the years go by or i'll have to empty it and start anew (no Hugelkulture next time - TBH, the only reason I did Hugelkulture for this bed was to get rid of some of those limbs as I don't have the money to get it all hauled away lol).