Results of a flower experiment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
007021BA-1909-43E4-8014-C7F6A9A06838.jpeg

My wife is always buying potted flowers which require a lot of care. These mums are two plants that had bloomed and had lots of spent flowers. I wanted to see if I could hedge prune these things instead of dead heading just the flowers. Both plants were the same size and health. The plant on the left was hedge pruned in about 1 minute. The tree on the right was carefully deadheaded one flower at a time taking 45 minutes. I guess the results speak for themselves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I think you've proved that all plants can't be treated the same way. Have you kept the hedge pruned plant to see how it recovers Silentrunning?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I think you've proved that all plants can't be treated the same way. Have you kept the hedge pruned plant to see how it recovers Silentrunning?

Yes I have. I am seeing some new leaves forming at the base so I will put it away for the winter when it gets cold enough. The other one will be full of flowers in a few weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Since the machine removed more material, do you think it necessarily true that "haircut" will come back even bushier but over a longer period?

Ask a Question