Similarities between Bethlehem Lilly and Dragonfruit flower

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello,

I’ve had a Bethlehem Lilly plant at our house long back and have had flower many times. Those flowers would bloom at night and spread an amazing smell which goes almost a block around my house and it withers off in the morning.

Recently I planted a dragon fruit plant, and was doing some research online about how to take care of it and I noticed that the dragon fruit flower looks exactly same as the Bethlehem Lilly flower. I noticed a lot of similarities between them like the nice smell, blooming at night and withering off by morning, shape color, structure etc. I also saw that in most cases we have to manually pollinate the dragon fruit plant for it to bear fruit else the flower will just wither off without fruit.
I’m just wondering if the Bethlehem Lilly plant also could bear some kind of fruit if we do manually pollinate the flower. Any thoughts on this? Any information on similarities between these two plants?

Regards,
Jerry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1571766591409.png
to the forum @mr_fruitz (Jerry) ....... although I have never heard of either of your plants before today, I have to say they both look very interesting, and I've been looking them up online. (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Of course, the well known Dragon fruit (Selenicereus undatus, formerly Hylocereus undatus, and other related species) is an epiphytic cactus native to Mexico and Central America, now grown worldwide for its edible fruit.

The Bethlehem Lily is one of a number of common names for Epiphyllum oxypetalum, also an epiphytic cactus native to southern Mexico and Central America. Other common names of this species include Queen-of-the-Night and Dutchman's Pipe Cactus. This species is and is widely grown as an ornamental garden plant in warm climates and as a conservatory subject or house plant in colder regions.
Like Dragonfruit, the flowers last only one night, but if they are successfully pollinated, a fruit will develop.
The fruit of Epiphyllum oxypetalum, is edible, but smaller and less productive than that of Dragonfruit.

Ask a Question