Taste results of 2 "new" tomato varieties.......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
......for us in our garden this year. One was simply listed as 'Italian Heirloom - Organic', the other was 'Super Sioux - Organic'. Both grown from seeds purchased from an on-line heirloom seed supplier. The Italian Heirloom gives larger fruit and is slightly better tasting than store-bought......BUT, the winner, hands-down, for taste, is the Super Sioux. If you were born WAY before the wholesale hybrid-adulteration of open pollinating, heirloom seeds by the powers to be, you will understand when I say, "They REALLY taste LIKE a tomato"........if you were not........I am soooooo sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
......for us in our garden this year. One was simply listed as 'Italian Heirloom - Organic', the other was 'Super Sioux - Organic'. Both grown from seeds purchased from an on-line heirloom seed supplier. The Italian Heirloom gives larger fruit and is slightly better tasting than store-bought......BUT, the winner, hands-down, for taste, is the Super Sioux. If you were born WAY before the wholesale hybrid-adulteration of open pollinating, heirloom seeds by the powers to be, you will understand when I say, "They REALLY taste LIKE a tomato"........if you were not........I am soooooo sorry.
I grew Super Sioux this year and they were excellent. They are slightly larger than the regular Sioux but the production of the SS seems to be a less. Both are excellent tomatoes. I would like to grow them side by side but I couldn't find any regular Sioux only SS. My favorite tomato for taste is Cherokee Purple but they have a very limited shelf life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My favorite tomato for taste is Cherokee Purple but they have a very limited shelf life.

Those are really good tomatoes; tough, vigorous, and productive with superb flavor. I got 2 of them this year. If you like those you should try the open pollinated varieties Green or Pink Tie Dyes and Large Barred Boars. My wife and I find them to be even tastier with similar production and disease resistance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those are really good tomatoes; tough, vigorous, and productive with superb flavor. I got 2 of them this year. If you like those you should try the open pollinated varieties Green or Pink Tie Dyes and Large Barred Boars. My wife and I find them to be even tastier with similar production and disease resistance.
Looks like we gonna HAVE to try the Cherokee Purple next......

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Heard from a video that if you add a bit of baking soda to watering can, it lowers the acidity of tomatoes! Hopefully, I don't have to try. But something useful to remember!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have sungold and gigatomo this year. Hopefully, something delicious will come up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Heard from a video that if you add a bit of baking soda to watering can, it lowers the acidity of tomatoes! Hopefully, I don't have to try. But something useful to remember!
It will raise the ph of the water and make it alkaline, so be careful if you try that. The yellow and white varieties are usually low acid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The Cherokee Purple Tomato seeds (highly recommended by Chuck & Tomato Tango) came today and 12 are now planted in peat pots. Just MIGHT be "pushing the envelope" for production, planting this "late"......but I got a greenhouse, if push comes to shove.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The Cherokee Purple Tomato seeds (highly recommended by Chuck & Tomato Tango) came today and 12 are now planted in peat pots. Just MIGHT be "pushing the envelope" for production, planting this "late"......but I got a greenhouse, if push comes to shove.
They are different from most tomatoes. When to pick for example. They will never change their color totally. The stem end will always stay green. The rest of the tomato will turn a purplish brown color. These tomatoes can get rather large. The largest I've grown was right at 2 lbs. IMO the best way to tell if they are ripe is by feel. If they are slightly soft they are ready. But beware, they have a limited shelf life and if left unrefridgerated will soon go bad.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please tell me what temperature you usually have for growing tomatoes please? I have never grown them inside a tomato greenhouse. What temperature do you think they are happiest in please? Thank you in advance. My tomatoes include Sungold F1. Gigatomo, Aperitif and so on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Could someone please tell me what temperature you usually have for growing tomatoes please? I have never grown them inside a tomato greenhouse. What temperature do you think they are happiest in please? Thank you in advance. My tomatoes include Sungold F1. Gigatomo, Aperitif and so on.
Between 65F and 85F. Above 95 and they stop growing and below 65 fruit set if iffy. These temps are for full sized tomatoes and not cherrys. Cherrys will still set fruit in hot weather but they slow down a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are different from most tomatoes. When to pick for example. They will never change their color totally. The stem end will always stay green. The rest of the tomato will turn a purplish brown color. These tomatoes can get rather large. The largest I've grown was right at 2 lbs. IMO the best way to tell if they are ripe is by feel. If they are slightly soft they are ready. But beware, they have a limited shelf life and if left unrefridgerated will soon go bad.
Thanks for the tips, Chuck......but don't THINK we'll have a shelf life problem......We eat tomatoes like most people change their underwear......everyday, if we have them.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very useful info. We will have 14c tonight which my son is worried will be too hot for them. I know otherwise. Now, @Chuck, you have clarified this for us. Son is out shutting the flap again! Thank you.

Ask a Question