Taste results of 2 "new" tomato varieties.......

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Too many bees in your head, @headfullofbees ! Now, I am only joking. :eek::LOL:

I am pretty sure for tomatoes to grow well and ripen, one needs to be just around 25c roughly speaking. :LOL: Optimum for 28c or thereabout. Today's in London was OK for fruit. Got to go to bed early to be an early riser to water the tomatoes. Thank you all and good night or good day to all!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
65f ~ 18C
I've not had ONE night like that this year, and many years never get two nights like it successively.
According to this paper, cited 9 times, temperatures require to be between 12.8C (55f) and 26.7C (79f) for successful fruit set, with 18.3C (64f) being the optimum, rather than the minimum.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.4141/cjps72-080

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of fruits to ripe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I’ve got hundreds of tomatoes and our nighttime temps have been 45-50 so far. Mine set during the day when it’s 65-100.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
65f ~ 18C
I've not had ONE night like that this year, and many years never get two nights like it successively.
According to this paper, cited 9 times, temperatures require to be between 12.8C (55f) and 26.7C (79f) for successful fruit set, with 18.3C (64f) being the optimum, rather than the minimum.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.4141/cjps72-080
Basically I agree with this study. However I don't believe this dated (1972) study takes into account important aspects of growing a productive tomato plant. For instance, the temps were constant 24 hours a day. Only 2 trusses were observed. No mention of the growth habit or the relative rate of growth at any of the 3 temperatures. What this study does show is that 18.3C (65F) is the optimum temperature for fruit set and at a lower temps and higher temps fruit set drops significantly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You must have a secret weapon. This goes against all research. With nighttime temps that low research indicates blossom drop. Here is just one of many links.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1195
Clearly that research is flawed if I have hundreds of tomatoes in my garden and thousands of flowers going right now. Also what you posted doesn’t really contradict what I said. I said they pollinate during daytime temps and that articles says they primarily pollinate between 10am and 4pm.

Just because my nighttime temps dip in the 45-50 range doesn’t necessarily force blossom drop. It probably could, especially if they aren’t given supplements or grow in poor soil. Mine get a foliar feed weekly of about 5-6 ingredients and my soil is loaded with natural emendments. I’ve liquid fed mine once because it won’t stop raining but they’re 5-6’ tall and doing good. They’re getting bombed with a bloom formula when I can finally water them.

Ask a Question