Advice on tomato plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been given a large tomato plant and as I have never grown tomatoes before I would appreciate any advice on the watering and feeding.
How often do I feed it and how much water does it need. Also do I need to prune it? I gather it is an indeterminate plant and as such might need to be pruned.
Any advice would be appreciated. There are a few tiny tomatoes on it and I have it in a sunny conservatory.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You may have been given a cherry tomato. This is a salad type tomato plant and a heavy producer. What is it planted in size wise? Or is it in the earth?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You may have been given a cherry tomato. This is a salad type tomato plant and a heavy producer. What is it planted in size wise? Or is it in the earth?
It is in a medium sized pot and has grown up to the roof of the conservatory. I am not sure should I prune it and if so how.
Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A 5 gallon bucket size is often used because at maturity the plant can be quite large. Pruning is too broad a term for me. If the plant is healthy then it usually means what bees says above, the removal of a none producing branch that will emerge between the main stem and side shoots. I also will prune for airflow, and accessibilty for spraying but that is not much on a growing plant. Usually it is like what was doing today actually, removing dead limbs, leaves, and other remnants of the spring growing cycle. Here, after the heat passes about the middle of this month, the tomatoes start growing again. I fertilize and weed also, basically getting them ready for our slow run into fall.

Ask a Question