About Christmas cards

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that.

You're correct.

An internet friend I know only because we are members of the same private message board, sent me the photos of the cards my wife and I have sent her over the years including the birthday ones. She gets them all out every Christmas! They have a separate place apart from all her others.

20180107_110620[3052].jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks again.

Here are a few ready for sending.

Birthdays and Easter cards for the youngest grandkids.
The one on the top right is for our daughter's birthday who in middle age has taken up tennis, (makes a change from the spar).

P1010101.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Gosh oh gosh !!!!! What a very clever lady....brilliant.Those on the receiving end must truly treasure such lovely personalised cards......I know I would :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The sad thing about cards now is the ridiculous cost of sending them, decoupaged cards because of their thickness cost nearly a pound to send and if any are boxed, they cost £2.90.

The price of postage must put a lot of people off sending cards, which is a shame. I hand deliver a lot, but it costs well over £20 to send the rest at Christmas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I agree! I try and hand deliver as many as I can too:).
It's such a shame as it is so lovely to both give and receive cards, brings a lot of cheer into people's lives, especially the elderly folk.
Ecards, although very handy, just aren't the same:(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Funny that Christmas cards are mentioned. Yesterday, March 2, we received three Christmas cards in the same envelope--photos of the family in 2015,2016,2017. We wondered why we hadn't received cards from the couple, especially since they live just across the road.
I think they were cleaning out drawers, found the cards, and thought we'd like to see every darn member of their family, accompanied by sappy verses!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Top marks to your very talented wife Sean; beautiful cards. (y)

I've just shown them to Bron who also is heavily into card making and Bron too is most impressed. :)

Now how about you Sean; usually talented people come as a pair whether husband & wife or partners; I bet you fully support your wife in her hobbies as I do Bron. I have lots of hobbies and enjoy helping Bron so I made her a 16 drawer chest in solid oak as a surprise present for Bron to store her card making materials; people without an hobby miss so much?

Sorry to learn your wife suffers MS so all her cards will be even more special.

Kind regards, Colin.

Brons oak drawers (2).JPG

16 drawers in solid oak I made for my lovely Bron as a present.

Brons oak drawers (1).JPG

Close up. Handles bought from China.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You've got to love those sort of people........and those that you hardly know who include ' round robin ' letters in their cards........ I havy the faintest idea who Great Aunt Mabel is !!!!:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Top marks to your very talented wife Sean; beautiful cards. (y)

I've just shown them to Bron who also is heavily into card making and Bron too is most impressed. :)

Now how about you Sean; usually talented people come as a pair whether husband & wife or partners; I bet you fully support your wife in her hobbies as I do Bron. I have lots of hobbies and enjoy helping Bron so I made her a 16 drawer chest in solid oak as a surprise present for Bron to store her card making materials; people without an hobby miss so much?

Sorry to learn your wife suffers MS so all her cards will be even more special.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 33060
16 drawers in solid oak I made for my lovely Bron as a present.

View attachment 33061

Close up. Handles bought from China.

That's very impressive and thanks for your kind words.

I did make this bookcase from hardwood window sills, but you could hardly call it carpentry.
P1000960.JPG

Ten years ago when we had a new kitchen, I fitted a false ceiling installed spotlights, laid the floor, did the tiling, everything other than fit the units.

K8.JPG

PA040060.JPG

I made everything in our garden including all the wood constructions and the concrete lanterns and pagoda.

I was a bit "arty" but don't bother so much now.

P1000833.JPG

And I play the electric piano... a bit. I'll play anything from vintage pop, Motown to a large number of Jazz standards.
I subscribe to a dedicated message board for leccy piano enthusiasts, we share stuff we've recorded and uploaded to "Box" I must have about 200 recordings on there.

The Nearness of You.

https://app.box.com/s/37zt7edacmdwtccl9c9repanigfmpjtx

I like to use the jazz chords.

A Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square.

https://app.box.com/s/ve7svq77gbovhmqaih02ss1lt8eat8hg

A bit of Everly Brothers

https://app.box.com/s/h3ops9jewgvdscvz0qmv

A bit of Elvis

https://app.box.com/s/bw4tsosvw5qjrqxevoqh

A bit of Four Freshmen

https://app.box.com/s/6sqzq1rsp4oksqk6tqzy

A bit of Tod Rundgren

https://app.box.com/s/jb845tt60coqlsi11p7myx6z77yav2oj

A bit of Aretha Franklin.

https://app.box.com/s/ii2n03p4essctlf7bane

A bit of Doo-wop The Elegants. "Little Star," It's corny but I love playing that tune.

https://app.box.com/s/cer2wtza6n4dg1awa3ig0fvfdmqvxmas

I'll stop now.........

I do play a lot of golf, had a gross 82 the week before last. But that's rather rare these days.

I guess you could call me "multi-talented, but doesn't do anything particularly well."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It's a sign of the times. Every appliance in that kitchen has had to be replaced in the intervening years, including the unseen washing machine and fridge freezer which were all new, The oven and the washing machine twice!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Oh Upsy, I dread getting one of those minute-by-minute descriptions of what everyone in the family did all year long. "Little Charlie cut his first tooth!" "Brittany started dance class, and she's only three!" Folks, I really don't care. I'm glad your entire extended family had a stunningly wonderful year, but I don't know these people.

I've been sorely tempted to write one of my own (we're over the scurvy, but the leprosy lingers. The house burned, but we saved two coffee cups. The cat had eighteen kittens, and the dog left home). So far my husband has talked me out of it. So far . . . .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sean, you are talented, whether you admit it or not! Your kitchen work is great, and that bookcase is lovely!
Everyone loves ReRe (Aretha), but do you play a bit of Mavis Staples?
Note to self: Get Ian to install speakers on the site so we can hear Sean play!

Ask a Question