About Christmas cards

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Each year we have been sending out fewer Christmas cards and also receiving fewer. Has e-mail taken over greeting cards?
This year we sent out about a dozen cards, and received six. I'm not complaining, but I think that next year I'll just donate the money for cards and postage to the local food bank.
How do you feel about Christmas cards?
P.S. This is not about those annoying "what we did this year, and here's a photo of the grandkids" holiday letters!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Actually? Not only do not stop, make an effort to increase. The hand made contact has become more valued than ever, because of the points you bring up. The fact that you complain, well, you are blessed for caring and picking up a pen and buying a card and considering its message and buying a stamp.

Everybody tries a technology, but if it does not carry the message it is a tool with no use and people will will not feel warm from the lack of care behind the email.

But there is nothing new under the sun in this statement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I used to really enjoy getting pictures of relatives and friends at Christmas time. Now with social media, I see dozens of pictures of such people monthly. I can also keep up with their day to day lives.
I used to spend hours every year making a Christmas tree out of the cards we received. Now I can't even fill the fireplace mantle. Traditions change. I guess Christmas cards are just another thing that children today won't have to enjoy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I enjoy mailing and receiving cards. You get to touch the same paper a friend far away had touched and taken the time to send. Some cards I receive include letters. In cursive and from friends and I endeavor to send the same where it is going to someone of like mind.

I like the stamps. The various sizes and scenes of the cards. Even the feel of the paper. I usually try to find humourous cards. This year it was a raccoon asking "any leftovers?". I take time finding something that reflects my sense of humour. Perhaps a little dry...

I agree with @DirtMechanic and next year I'm going to up my output.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I'm like them, we (my wife) send them. We shop for them every year by making a trip to the Zoo, that's where we typically get them. Another tradition on the wane I guess for many, hopefully something else is picked up along the way.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I can't remember the last time I wrote a letter and posted it Marlingardner so yes for me email rules in this respect. :)

Bron's hobby is card making the year round and Bron can easily spend four hours designing and making a single card these being truly unique so for Bron Christmas card making starts early and I've posted bags full of cards for Bron so it's unlikely we'll ever stop sending cards of any type. (y)

How sad though that these days most things come down to money? It's amazing the number of people who seeing Bron's cards say to Bron you could sell these and make a lot of money; Bron spends a lot of money on card making materials not to make money but to treat card making as her hobby which Bron enjoys a great deal; Bron will never sell one of her cards but generously gives them all away with her love and best wishes. Bron is happy unlike those living for money alone. :)

Bron and I fully support and encourage each other in our varied hobbies; I designed and made the 16 drawer solid oak cabinet shown below for Bron to safely store her card making materials; I should have doubled the size because looking at the picture it's not large enough to accommodate everything? This to me is what makes an happy marriage working together and supporting each other. (y):)

I'm about to get off my backside to help our lovely neighbour Carole; a couple of weeks ago her large fancy bird table fell over this was secured to a large tree stump but the stump has finally called it a day; I'll bring the stump round home and cut it up for our friend Caroline who has a woodburner. It will be nice to get out and do something useful so Blackie here I come.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00154.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I still send em, lovely to get an actual card. Although this year I've been a bit disappointed with the postal service.

Despite posting before the cut off dates only one person in the UK got my card before Christmas and some of you over the pond still haven't got them :(

I love Lori's card, and there was a Moose on the stamp :)

DSCI0001 (12).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I really love postcards!

Oh I love post cards too, now those are a tradition of mine personally. Every time I go some place I always buy post cards. There are about 6 people that I always send one to and I usually keep a couple for my self as mementos. I always send one to my Mom and there are a couple little boys I always send to also, an uncle and my daughter... I always enjoy trying to pick cards that will please each person specifically. I think my daughter picked up on this alos as she sends postcards when she travels to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I have a Christmas card my Sunday school teacher have me 40 yrs ago. I keep it and the little present she gave me. The present was a chocolate santa with marshmallow filling. I absolutely hate marshmallow. I had forgotten that little gift but came across it in a box about 20yrs ago. I keep it because my sisters thinks it's freaky and funny that I still have it.

Ask a Question