About Christmas cards

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I did not send a single card this year. :( It's a tradition I miss... Maybe next year I will send some to a few friends.

I received three cards. One from the bank, and another from the vet. I received one from a friend. (Thank you, @zigs! (y) I got it yesterday. :D.)

I designed and made the 16 drawer solid oak cabinet shown below for Bron to safely store her card making materials; I should have doubled the size because looking at the picture it's not large enough to accommodate everything?

That is a beautiful stand, Colin, and I think another one stacked on top would look twice as nice!! ;) :whistle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Thank you, @zigs ! It was so on time, on the eve of our Christmas! :):):)

20180107_193713.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I've not been around the forum for some time but wish all of you a very Happy New Year.

We stopped sending Christmas cards 20 years ago. We used to receive well over 300 each year and send out about 200 and realised how much money was being spent on them. So, the last year we sent out the cards we said that we would no longer send them but give the money we would have spent to charity. It's a significant amount of money and we think that the charity can make good use of it. We asked our friends not to send cards to us but to donate the money to charity as well.

The discrepancy between the number we received and those we used to send out was because we got a lot through our work - both of us retired at the turn of the century.

We still receive some cards, about 30 (including from @zigs ), but some of those are from people/companies that want to keep our business :whistle: such as the bank manager, travel agent and service and maintenance engineers etc.

When we use to receive all those cards we hung them up instead of Christmas decorations :D. We used to run rows of string all round the upper parts of the walls in our lounge and hang them over it. They looked pretty good. The best looking ones were always those from Japan. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hey @zigs I liked your Christmas card too and thank you for it.

Just counted and I only sent out 14 cards this year. Mailed to those who usually send one to me. If I don't receive a card from someone in 2 years, I drop them from my Christmas card list. I figure they had let me know that they really don't find them important and it is silly to send one to them. I do very much enjoy the card exchanges from friends and much prefer this reduced but sincere "core" group that has remained through the years. A shorter list also gives me more time to write a note inside :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I used to be good about sending out holiday cards, but in all honesty I just got busier and busier over time and didn't keep up with it. These days it's much easier to post a note to Facebook that says "Happy Holidays" to everyone than to keep up with who celebrates what. It's less expensive too!

Of course, I still buy cards - one of the reasons I started to make them as well - and I still enjoy getting them in the mail - nothing beats a handwritten note.

I just LOVE this one from @zigs !

P_20180113_130020[1].jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
It was in the way 3 months !!!
Probably the central office of the post office is in the Bermuda Triangle. :cool:
If the spring was delivered by the Post, then spring would come closer to August ...
Next year I'll close the postcard in a bottle, write "In Dorset" and throw it into the sea. On the water faster! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
My wife who has had MS for as long as I can remember, is into costume jewellery and decoupage card making. She's always making something, either for friends and relatives birthdays and again at Christmas.

She has endless patience, each card is different and is themed in respect of birthdays to reflect that person's particular interests, for example mine, will have some sort of reference to golf and saxophones or koi, in it.

Here's some of the Christmas cards she made for last Christmas. She usually starts around October.

Having to make lots of tiny cuts with little special scissors keeps her hands working.

P1000886.JPG

P1000889.JPG

P1000890.JPG

P1000891.JPG

P1000892.JPG

P1000893.JPG
P1000894.JPG

Some have more detail than others.
P1000896.JPG

Ask a Question