A Grassy Thing and A Columbine Mimic

Reaction score
IMG_0335 - Small.JPG
IMG_0334 - Small.JPG
IMG_0332 - Small.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

These are all the pictures I have. If you guys need something specific, I'll try to get you the picture. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

It's difficult to tell from the photos, so just to clarify - are the last two photos of the same plant?

Reaction score
The leaves from the first one do look a lot like columbine leaves. Has it bloomed yet because if it hasn't then wait and see until it does. It might not be columbine but it could be a wildflower in the same family. The grassy thing looks like a weed but I am not sure. Does it grow anywhere else in the yard?

Reaction score
For the first reply, the last two are of the same plant. And thanks for the welcome! :)

For you, firelily99, the plant has already bloomed so I know that it isn't a columbine since it droops down kind of like wind chimes but I'm not sure what specific type it is. Since you said they might be in the same family, I think I'll try to research into that to see what I find. With the grassy thing, it is spread throughout the yard. It has underground runners so it gets around. I don't really mind if it's a weed or not but my curiosity has been driving me crazy for a while now so I'm trying to ID it here.

Reaction score
It looks pretty similar but that's not quite it. It might be closely related so I'll check into that. The flowers on it droop down as in the pictures but the flower is really tiny in big clusters. Plus, there are multiple stamens that hang down like the tubes on wind chimes. The leaves looked really similar too but there was more scalloping or lobing (which ever) than the Vancouveria. As I said though, I'll look to see if there is a direct relative or just a different type. Thanks!

Reaction score
When iding plants the important feature are the flowers.
Leaves can be rather varied ...even on the same plant.

In Vancouvaria each stalk growing from the ground normally has 3 sets of 3 leaflets, which in turn have 3 leaves. Total 27 leaves .Which I believe I can see in your 1st pic. see later pics..

I am 99.9% sure that this is Vancouveria sp.

What colour were the flowers?
Have you looked at the flowers of Vancouveria? The flowers are really tiny.

Single stalk showing arrangement of leaflets on V. planipetala

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7002/6430624123_e491f161b8_z.jpg

Stalk with multiple flowers...

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2008/05/23/GardenGuyKin/ffde53.jpg

Single flower....
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Vancouveria_hexandra_6349.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't remember the color but I remember that the shape was pretty different. Also, I measured it- it reached up to 2 feet and it grows fairly well in partial shade (what it's in right now) . Plus, I was researching where they grow and it said that it's more native to Oregon, Washington, and the coastal mountain areas. I live in West Virginia in the mountains so I don't know if they grow here... I drew a picture of what the flower looked like. The proportions are off; the petals are about half the size from what I drew (I'm not the best drawer.). The hanging things are the stamens I was talking about. The other is an entire branch that I tried to show. It had three leaves at the front then four forks off of the main branch.

IMG_0338 - Small.JPG

IMG_0339 - Small.JPG

I also have new pictures of the grass and another type that I think looks similar enough that one of you guys might mistake it. There is this one weed that is very similar to my grassy thing but it gets pink berry-like things at the top of it, it doesn't get that silvery glow/variegation, and it's stem is red, smooth, and without hair. I think that weed might be Smartweed but I don't care about that one. I hope these pictures are more helpful! I measured the grassy thing too and it came out to a little over a foot- I think it will grow higher though if I leave it. The silvery color seems to come in after the plant has grown a bit.

IMG_0346 - Small.JPG

This is a comparison of the grassy thing and the possibly-Smartweed.

IMG_0352 - Small.JPG

Reaction score
Your pic of the leaves in your new post...very clear thank you.
Still confirms Vancouvaria to me.

However, you misunderstanding what a single stem of this plant looks like .
May I suggest you go to the plant and follow a stem right back to where it comes out of the ground.....cut it and lay it flat on a piece of paper and then take a pic.
The plant will not miss one stalk.

It is a very complex leaf..... described as pinnately compound leaves divided 2 or 3 times with 3 lobed leaflets.
or
Leaves are opposite, basal, compound leaves. They are 10 - 40cm long and have long stalks. They are usually twice divided into 3’s with 9-15 leaflets. These leaflets are peculiar and distinctive in shape, being bluntly triangular or quadrangular, usually with three points, webbed between

Yes, plants have a place in the world, a home... where they grow naturally, but now due to planthunters, propagators and nurseries they can be found in many countries that nature never intended
We live in the UK and grew Vancouvaria very successfully in our damp woodland..it was about 2ft tall
I am very familiar with both V. hexandra and V. chrysantha..with yellow flowers.

A plant that looks a bit like your flower sketch is Semiaquilegia.ecalcarata.
However the leaves are very very different.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=S...IMaM7AaI54FI&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=728

Reaction score
Grassy thing....
Have you considered a dwarf bamboo.... such as Pleioblastus sp.?

Your pic shows the veins are running down the entire length of the leaf ..parallel veins....like other grasses.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/leaf-veins-bill-brennan.jpg

Bamboos have a growth habit as you describe. Not all bamboos are 100ft tall

While your last pics clearly shows the plant on the right with leafs that have pinnate veins
A central vein with side veins coming from it to the edges of the leaf.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/glossary/webpubl/lvenatio.jpg

The 2 plants are not remotely connected.

Last edited:

Ask a Question