A couple questions for a design app project

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would love it if everyone could answer a couple market research questions for a project I am working on. Your input will be extremely valuable.

Thank you for your time.

1. If you have used any computer (or mobile device) programs for design, what is your biggest complaint about the tool? What did you like most?
  2. In what way would you like a computer program help you with gardening or garden design?
I use the MEN Garden Planner, which is the basic tool for several gardening supply firms as well.

The tool is a GREAT idea, but poorly implemented compared to today's software. The graphics are crude - mid-80s style. Common key commands sometimes do and don't work. Once the garden is laid out physically - you then only need to move plantings around and that is one nice feature of the system - it prompts you as what NOT to plant in areas that might cause problems from the prior years' plantings.

The Gantt-type chart for planting, transplanting, and harvest times is also great.

And, of course, they are tied into some of the major gardening suppliers and show where you can buy seeds etc. and those often are more costly than finding sources by browsing the Internet and catalogs yourself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There only app I have used is for my vegitable garden and it lacks in variety of plants built in to it. At the very least, an ability to add notes on variety so I can have a detailed representation of my garden.

Another helpful feature would be a way to add notes such as dates individual plants were planted, fertilizer dates, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would love it if everyone could answer a couple market research questions for a project I am working on. Your input will be extremely valuable.

Thank you for your time.

1. If you have used any computer (or mobile device) programs for design, what is your biggest complaint about the tool? What did you like most?
2. In what way would you like a computer program help you with gardening or garden design?

Well, for one thing, getting the graphics up out of the 1980s and into modern tech would be great. Most of gardening apps are still back in the 80s.

Then getting around in the Apps is another big feature - and navigation of most of those old apps are right there in the 80s along with the graphics.

SOMEONE needs to hire a couple of coders away from APPLE and turn them loose on building a killer gardening app would be of benefit to ALL, including the Mgmt that doesn't want to do something like this because most of those cats are stuck back in the 80s right along with their graphics and navigation tools.

Hope this helps with your colleg3e work!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it would be nice to be able to import a picture. Then list the conditions (shade, sunny, wet etc.) Then have suggestions pop up that will grow in those conditions, giving specifics about each plant such as height, when and if it flowers and for how long. Then being able to paste in pictures to see what the final project would look like.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it would be nice to be able to import a picture. Then list the conditions (shade, sunny, wet etc.) Then have suggestions pop up that will grow in those conditions, giving specifics about each plant such as height, when and if it flowers and for how long. Then being able to paste in pictures to see what the final project would look like.
You might also take a look at all of PURDUE's "Tree Doctor", "Tomato Doctor", "Flower Doctor", etc. - as in their whole series of "Doctor" libraries for gardening help. AT THE LEAST, IF you're thinking about writing the next HIT Gardening Planner then you should consider adding LINKS to those items - or at very least mentioning them as an extra resource.

SO, how are YOUR programming skills? You still tell us nothing about YOU! What are your skills and capabilities? What is your GOAL here, or elsewhere?

Ask a Question